Best container mix for a Dicksonia antarctica?

ourarka

Best container mix for a Dicksonia antarctica?

Post by ourarka »

One of my smaller Dicksonia antarctica is going in a pot a shady patio area. I've finally freed up the pot I want it in (which is deep rather than broad) and wondered what the best potting mix would be?
fern Rob

Re: Best container mix for a Dicksonia antarctica?

Post by fern Rob »

If would get a general compost, add some fine bark in to the mix about 40/60, and a little leaf mulch.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

fern Rob wrote:If would get a general compost, add some fine bark in to the mix about 40/60, and a little leaf mulch.
60% fine bark? That is pretty free draining.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Blairs wrote:
fern Rob wrote:If would get a general compost, add some fine bark in to the mix about 40/60, and a little leaf mulch.
60% fine bark? That is pretty free draining.
Better long term.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Have to disagree Rob. Although fine bark is a good addition never 60%. I will be re potting all of mine come late winter and will use 60% multi purpose 20% fine bark chip and 20% peat plus a few handfuls of fish blood and bone. All my potted have grown very well in this mix although the fish blood bone is going to be a new addition having taken advise from Gote forum.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dim

Post by Dim »

Tom2006 wrote:Have to disagree Rob. Although fine bark is a good addition never 60%. I will be re potting all of mine come late winter and will use 60% multi purpose 20% fine bark chip and 20% peat plus a few handfuls of fish blood and bone. All my potted have grown very well in this mix although the fish blood bone is going to be a new addition having taken advise from Gote forum.
I have read (on several forums), that Fish/blood and bone is detremental to mycorrhizal fungi ...

here is one article:

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalke ... nemeal.pdf

from what I understand, bone meal is the culprit ... blood meal and fish meal used on their own is very good .... so, I no longer use products with bone meal
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I used bark, multi purpose and sand. Humus rich and free draining.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Dim wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Have to disagree Rob. Although fine bark is a good addition never 60%. I will be re potting all of mine come late winter and will use 60% multi purpose 20% fine bark chip and 20% peat plus a few handfuls of fish blood and bone. All my potted have grown very well in this mix although the fish blood bone is going to be a new addition having taken advise from Gote forum.
I have read (on several forums), that Fish/blood and bone is detremental to mycorrhizal fungi ...

here is one article:

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalke ... nemeal.pdf

from what I understand, bone meal is the culprit ... blood meal and fish meal used on their own is very good .... so, I no longer use products with bone meal
Most plants have a associated fungi that helps them grow especially woodland plants. The fungi in my opinion are way more important than fish blood and bone.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dim wrote:from what I understand, bone meal is the culprit
Phosphate is the issue I think (which is in the Bone meal)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks I'll avoid the bone then.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

You learn something new every day.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

fern Rob wrote:You learn something new every day.
I read Linda Chalker-Scotts missives with a very open mind. She is well qualified, but preaches her point, and her points only ever raised contrary questions in my mind which I have not seen answered. I have got, and thoroughly read, her book. Its interesting stuff, but I really REALLY struggle to believe that it is so - I can well understand that it is "so" at face value, but I see the real-world scenarios as being more complicated and negating a lot of what she says.

Main reason I stopped using Bone Meal was that foxes thought there was a bone buried there! and dug up the plants I'd just planted :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Kristen wrote:
fern Rob wrote:You learn something new every day.
I read Linda Chalker-Scotts missives with a very open mind. She is well qualified, but preaches her point, and her points only ever raised contrary questions in my mind which I have not seen answered. I have got, and thoroughly read, her book. Its interesting stuff, but I really REALLY struggle to believe that it is so - I can well understand that it is "so" at face value, but I see the real-world scenarios as being more complicated and negating a lot of what she says.

Main reason I stopped using Bone Meal was that foxes thought there was a bone buried there! and dug up the plants I'd just planted :(
No risk of foxes in my gardens its to secured or them.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

fern Rob wrote:No risk of foxes in my gardens its to secured or them.
I wouldn't bank on it - they are agile animals! But they will need a reason to bother to come into your garden - some chickens running around freerange! or dustbins (if they are Urban foxes) - so you are probably not going to have a problem as I expect there are better places for them to go to near you? But don't assume that good fencing etc. will keep them out - chicken keepers will tell you that ain't the case - a 10' chickenwire fence around a chicken coup isn't usually a deterrent unless it has an electric fence wire too ...
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My fence has two kick boards below ground level as the garden was risen when it was landscaped.