Plants for THIS year.

flounder

Re: Plants for next year.

Post by flounder »

I'm going to have another go with tetrapanax. All past donations of root cuttings have started to take, then failed miserably. Will also acquire some more ensetes after losing all 5 last March. Got my eye on a c. vulcano at a local nursery which has been neglected so a naughty offer to take it off their hands might be in order. Not going to mention any more plants as the list could become unmanageable!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Deedee wrote:I think ill take advantage of the sales to decide what plants im going to plant this year :mrgreen: lots to move around this spring, i have just been looking out the window, planning in my mind whats going where and what needs splitting etc and even what will survive, its still only december...
moving plants around *drools* my favourite pasttime drunken_smilie1 :lol: :lol: icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have got a small t Rex I can send you Flounder if it survives this winter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
RozDevon

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by RozDevon »

Cordyman - always moving them around, they cringe when they see me coming with a spade!! haha!
Lys

Post by Lys »

Tom2006 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:New decking required. A new tree fern. Also plan to sink my old dead tree fern trunks and grow clematis up them. Hopefully manage to chill out there for once.
Have you thought about having a tree fern going through the decking, as if you built the decking around it.
I haven't but I like your thinking....alot! Watering would be my only concern but will think it through. icon_thumleft
Tom - Can you post a picky when you've done it, I would love to see the trunks in place (I've kept a few dead ones to use too).
Plants for this year- I have invested in a lean-to cold frame (5ftx4ft) and am thinking of what exotic looking plants to grow in it through the summer (after I've hardened off my initial plants for spring planting)...any ideas? :)
Last edited by Lys on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

RozDevon wrote:Cordyman - always moving them around, they cringe when they see me coming with a spade!! haha!
I'm rubbish at garden design, and usually plant something initially where I regret it the next year. Redesign the year after will usually find that plants final location lol :lol:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

that is the problem I am having with this new one..a blank canvas is very hard for me to picture finished so I am trying to draw it out first. I also have so many plants on pre order it will be easier to sit the pots out and look at it once there here and get an idea. I have some new streaked hostas comming as well as a ton of seeds and palms to sit out
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I am severely limited as to what I can plant this year as basically I'm not allowed to do much in the garden now.. (not my garden really), but as my interest in gardening is still there, I will try to sneak a few things in, in places where they are not likely to be ripped out and binned.

I cant plan what plants I will get therefore, and most likely they cannot be big, but I'll attempt something.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

I am after musa aeae this year.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would like a clover lawn.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

fern Rob wrote:I would like a clover lawn.
any pics of how this would look? sounds terrible :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

cordyman wrote:
fern Rob wrote:I would like a clover lawn.
any pics of how this would look? sounds terrible :lol:
No cutting needed, nitrogen fixing, doesn't mind boggy areas like my current lawn, easy maintenance.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Clover lawn ! you must be mad Sir :wink:
I`d remove it from mine but the fatty pigeons love it as do the bumble bees so it stays.........for now icon_aaargh
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

miketropic wrote:..a blank canvas is very hard for me to picture finished so I am trying to draw it out first.
Download some garden design software. A decent package should allow you to do a 3D walkthru of your design so you can get a feel for it.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

bordersboy wrote:Clover lawn ! you must be mad Sir :wink:
I`d remove it from mine but the fatty pigeons love it as do the bumble bees so it stays.........for now icon_aaargh
lawn will not survive for some reason, and I'm not fond of pebbles and paving, so its the next best thing, micro clover.