New member in Leeds West Yorkshire

L33ETH1

New member in Leeds West Yorkshire

Post by L33ETH1 »

Hi all

I joined the forum this week after stumbling across the website when looking for care advice for my newly acquired dicksonia Antarctica.

I'm looking forward to learning about new plants that I can add to my ever growing collection!!

Tropicals are relatively new to me but I've made a start of the tropical theme in the lower area of my garden. It's a small garden but I've managed to get some big hitters in there so far.

Gunnera manikata, musa basjoo, canna Bengal tiger, dicksonia Antarctica (an amazing Christmas present) tetrapanax Rex, paulownia tomentosa, fatsia japonica, cordylines. Several ferns and bamboos to add to the look too. It's early days for the tropicals but I'm looking forward to developing the theme this year!

Not many can be seen in this picture as it was taken before most of my purchases but gunnera can be seen at the bottom right. There's a before and after photo too, the first showing the garden about 2 years ago.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by L33ETH1 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blairs

Re: New member in Leeds West Yorkshire

Post by Blairs »

Like your garden. Question though, why are the Cordylines wrapped up? Has it been really cold there?
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

I lost 2 cordylines a few years ago due to frost so I wrap them up as a precautionary measure really. Water and ice tends to sit in the top and rots them off. Done this for several years
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Welcome to forum icon_salut. Nice collection of plants you have.I like your style, smallish garden/monster sized plants.I notice you don't have any palms on your list (you have to have at least one Trachycarpus,it's the law :) ).A Trachycarpus waggy would look great in a raised bed,similar to the one your cordylines are in.Nice to see your not shy with posting pictures.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

The Dicksonia fronds actually look good like that...don't tell fern rob!
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Thanks for the replies. I have a very large wish list of plants of which a palm is definitely one!

The fronds on the fern were tied down like that when I had it delivered. I've left them like that to give the stem extra protection over winter. It will be unleashed in spring!! Can't wait!!

Lots more pictures to come!

Does this site have a recommended supplier list anywhere. Next on the list is an ensette I think but have yet to find a decent supplier!
Last edited by L33ETH1 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grub

Post by grub »

welcome to the madhouse L33ETH1, which Ensete are you after?
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Something hardy of course. Maybe maurelli?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

L33ETH1 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I have a very large wish list of plants of which a palm is definitely one!

The fronds on the fern were tied down like that when I had it delivered. I've left them like that to give the stem extra protection over winter. It will be unleashed in spring!! Can't wait!!

Lots more pictures to come!

Does this site have a recommended supplier list anywhere. Next on the list is an ensette I think but have yet to find a decent supplier!
You really need to protect its crown, rather than the trunk. icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Blairs wrote:The Dicksonia fronds actually look good like that...don't tell fern rob!
:lol: :lol: :lol: it may be doing the plant some good, due to it stopping the old frond bases setting themselves in the middle of the crown making the crown bigger, I may consider doing this to some of mine. icon_thumleft
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

fern Rob wrote:
Nothing wrong with belt and braces eh :-)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

L33ETH1 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
Have you protected the crown?
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

fern Rob wrote:
L33ETH1 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
Have you protected the crown?
Packed with straw and fleece over the top of it, yes
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Ny croziers starting to show?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, L33ETH1 icon_cheers

Love the end-pieces at the back of the garden, the trio of containerised Phormiums picked out by the dark background of the hedge.