Looking for Tradescantia Spathacea for sale

jham

Looking for Tradescantia Spathacea for sale

Post by jham »

Hi all
I'm a long time browser here but first time poster so go easy on me.
On a recent trip to Florida the one plant that really stood out for me (well apart from the magnificent Bismarkia) was the Tradescantia spathacea. It it an invasive species in Florida but I think it would look amazing as summer bedding. However I have not been able to find any for sale online anywhere, seeds or plants. I have seen some of the 'Zebra' variagated variety available as a house plant but none of the 'plain' variety. Any suggestions??

Lys

Re: Looking for Tradescantia Spathacea for sale

Post by Lys »

You could contact Shrubland Park Nurseries. They list it on their web site, though listed as 'temporarily unavailable.' Let us know if you have any luck - the plant looks great!
jham

Post by jham »

Thanks Lys. I have found a website, based in Belize, who will supply the seed.

Anyone ever used this website?

http://www.especiesseeds.com/servlet/Categories
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

jham wrote: Any suggestions??
Come to my garden and you can have as much as you want :roll: Yes it is invasive alright, in wet weather it just rockets away spreading by stolons and seed. Mind you its easy enough to control and doesnt like to be shaded out or have competition, so its really only a ground cover for open sunny spaces.

Funny, I always knew it as Rhoeo discolor. Dont know if its botanists stuffing around with naming again or just lazy horticulturists that make stuff up...
flounder

Post by flounder »

Some got stuck in my suitcase when coming back from Mexico a couple of years ago, but it seems they don't like our dark winters so unfortunately lost it. I use t. pallida as a poor mans alternative as bedding now(this also came from Mexico :wink: )
jham

Post by jham »

flounder wrote:Some got stuck in my suitcase when coming back from Mexico a couple of years ago, but it seems they don't like our dark winters so unfortunately lost it. I use t. pallida as a poor mans alternative as bedding now(this also came from Mexico :wink: )
I was very tempted to do the same coming home from Florida but the thought of those big burly US custom officials put me off. Has anyone tried growing from seed? Very little info online if I do purchase the seed from Belize