LARGE Washingtonia palms in UK ? pics/links and info

sanatic1234

Re: Who knows of LARGE Washingtonia palms in UK ?

Post by sanatic1234 »

derrick wrote:All the Washy I see that look good are next to a wall or building .
Higher heat during the summer and winter most likely due to the bricks warming up during the day and heat being released at night time.
Axel

Re: LARGE Washingtonia palms in UK ? pics/links and info

Post by Axel »

This article has a picture of a couple of larger Robusta's in London:

http://davisla.wordpress.com/2012/01/20 ... a-robusta/
billdango

Post by billdango »

Those Washington palms look good, Does anyone know where they are so we can check them out on google earth or go and see them oneself?

London should be the SOCHI of the UK as its got a perfect climate to grow many types of palm trees so hopefully we should see a lot more exotic planting in that City in years to come. :D

The only other places thats comparable is Southsea or Torquay so come on London lead the way. icon_cheers

billdango icon_sunny
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

I live in East London and have been tracking the temp in my garden, it has only got down to 0/1C about 3-4 times this winter, not sure I needed to bother covering the tree fern at all. A washingtonia is definitely on my shopping list this spring. Not really seeing much choice any where, all about the same size, but hopefully in a few years the one in my garden will be on this list!
cichlidfish

Post by cichlidfish »

There are some large ones on the isle of wight in ventnor botanical gardens, i have some pictures which i will add once i figure out how to get them on here....or maybe i'm not allowed just yet being a new member?
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Nathan!
palmtreehuge.jpg
:lol:
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Dave Brown wrote:We need to start a survey of the larger Washingtonia palms in the UK. Billdango's idea :wink:

Some, like mine are well known and documented, but others seem to be tucked away and remain anonymous. If you know of a large Washingtonia let us know, and if possible post up a pic :)

Please only post on this topic if you are identifying a large palm or posting a pic of one. Use the general discussion topic for general Washingtonia discussion.

PS by large we are talking 10ft (3m) plus :wink:

I'll start the ball rolling with mine which is about 11ft (3.5m) Taken back in August
The attachment 2013-08-25 18-30-36 Me and Washie.jpg is no longer available
Rob S wrote:Are we going to repeat photos that may have been posted elsewhere before or is that going to be of little interest? Most of mine have done the rounds!
This is a new one of mine ,I live near Heathrow.The silver object on the top of the italian cedar is the only means I have got of fixing the fan ,which gives me good frost protection.\this is my first attempt at using this method,after using sheets etc to try to cover them being near useless.I have made many attempts at sending this file hence it has appeared three times,sorry about that
Attachments
P1020246 - Copy.JPG