Cork Phoenix Canariensis dead

melon yost

Cork Phoenix Canariensis dead

Post by melon yost »

I was wondering if anyone else is aware of this? I have seen this repeatedly mention as the most northerly mature Phoenix Canariensis. I even found a thread on cloudforest.com discussing it from last month, but nobody has posted anything about its recent condition.

Well, it now appears to be dead:

Nathan

Re: Cork Phoenix Canariensis dead

Post by Nathan »

That's a shame :( I knew the other one died a few years ago but thought the left side one was ok, I wonder what caused their deaths?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It is a shame :( I know western Ireland had some pretty cold temps in 2010, but not sure if that was the case down as far as cork. If cold damage occurred with the extreme high humidity infection could have set in.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

They did get snow in Cork in 2010, even on Fota Island where the Phoenix was located, but can't have got that cold there surely... Apparently they were planted in 1896, a real shame :(
billdango

Post by billdango »

It could have just died of old age?

All palms have to do that eventually.

The best thing now would be to plant 2 new CIDPS or maybe a couple of Buta palms.

billdango :(
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Is does look blutty tall for a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in that location, was it planted rather large or?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:Is does look blutty tall for a Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in that location, was it planted rather large or?
As they appear to have been planted 118 years ago, don't think the size at planting time would have made much difference.

The 1890s was the time of the Dickensian Snow Christmas Cards, was a particularly cold winter spell.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:Is does look blutty tall for a Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in that location, was it planted rather large or?
As they appear to have been planted 118 years ago, don't think the size at planting time would have made much difference.

The 1890s was the time of the Dickensian Snow Christmas Cards, was a particularly cold winter spell.

both planted at that year? such a disparity in height icon_scratch
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

My guess is old age. It is possible that the terrible floods that Cork has had since December was the knock out, though I can't see standing water the water table must be high. Cork has been as hard hit as SW England though that has escaped most of the UK media.

I know Logan Botanic Gardens in Southern Scotland has some mature CIPD outside but they were not as mature as those in Cork.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

cordyman wrote:

They were both the same height, the one on the right lost half of the trunk after it died...

Cork Airport had a low of -7C in December 2010 & had an average low of 0C for the whole month, with heavy snow too. It may be that they were damaged & then in the damp Irish climate they rotted away. I doubt very much it would be old age that killed them as Phoenix canariensis can live much longer & grow taller than those specimens...
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nathan wrote:
cordyman wrote:

They were both the same height, the one on the right lost half of the trunk after it died...

Cork Airport had a low of -7C in December 2010 & had an average low of 0C for the whole month, with heavy snow too. It may be that they were damaged & then in the damp Irish climate they rotted away. I doubt very much it would be old age that killed them as Phoenix canariensis can live much longer & grow taller than those specimens...

ah cheers! real shame :(

Any pics of them in there former glory?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

The European Palm Society journal Issue 20 of Chamaerops dated October 1995 had a front and back cover spread showing both palms. (Sorry, can't get a link - maybe someone else?)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Here they are in their former glory...
Attachments
fotacidps.jpg
fotacidps.jpg (68.03 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Thanks, Nathan.

Surely, this would be a candidate for restoration through some sponsor/charity source?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Re-looking at the OP picture, it was taken in early autumn as the trees were stil in leaf and I would expect deciduous trees to be bare by now, so I think Nathan is right "they were damaged & then in the damp Irish climate they rotted away". Shame as they really did make the grow house look like it was 500 miles further south.