how to keep slugs & snails out & the cats alive

acphm

Re: how to keep slugs & snails out & the cats alive

Post by acphm »

To protect from slugs & snails I use NEUDORFF Ferramol, it's organic and 100% effective.
And my better protection from cats is my dog!!!
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

I also use ferramol, based on iron and safe for birds and mammals to eat both it and any slugs that have eaten it, works by stopping them eating rather thankilling them straight away so no dead bodies!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sand around the plants that keep getting eaten.
kata

Post by kata »

You can get a liquid form of the blue pellets and it works a treat.
Steph, do you mean Slugit liquid?

Preventive measures you can take include:

Transplant sturdy plantlets grown on in pots, rather than young vulnerable seedlings. Protect transplants with plastic bottle cloches.

Place traps, such as scooped out half orange, grapefruit or melon skins, laid cut side down, or jam jars part-filled with beer and sunk into the soil near vulnerable plants. Check and empty these regularly, preferably every morning. Proprietary traps are available from garden centres.

Place barriers, such as copper tapes (Vitax Copper Slug Tape, Agralan Copper Slug Tape, Growing Success Slug Barrier Tape) around pots or stand containers on matting impregnated with copper salts (Slug and Snail Shocka, Agralan Slug and Weed Mat). Moisture-absorbent minerals can be placed around plants to create slug barriers.

(Westland Earth Matters Slug Blocker Granules, Growing Success Slug Stop andVitax Slug Off, ). Gel repellents (Westland Earth Matters Slug Blocker Gel, Doff Slug Defence Gel) can also be used to create barriers around plants. These products are widely available from garden centres.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westland-Earth- ... B0031RG7OC

£5.99 you can use it like decrative stone.

Go out with a torch on mild evenings, especially when the weather is damp, and hand-pick slugs into a container. Take them to a field, hedgerow or patch of waste ground well away from gardens, or destroy them in hot water or a strong salt solution
Some birds, frogs, toads, hedgehogs, slow-worms and ground beetles eat slugs and these predators should be encouraged in gardens.

Rake over soil and remove fallen leaves during winter so birds can eat slug eggs that have been exposed.

icon_cheers
eddie

Post by eddie »

Thank everyone, some helpfull info here

I'm going to try coffee & beertraps for sure, I've alway got a coffee & beer supply :)

I'm giving the other methods a go, except the pellets wich I don't really trust wit one of the cats, because we've got one cat that eats just about everything.With all the rain I am fearing a war on slugs & snails this summer
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

i am making up a garlic brew tonight ready to start as I noticed the slugs are on a war path..... :evil:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i've got two cats and used slug pellets in all my gardens for years with no issues, I always buy the ones with pet repellent in.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I've tried them all .... the only effective remedy is the blue pellets

there are some wool pellets which I have not tried yet, but I will stick with the blue pellets as I know that they work

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product. ... product=27

coffee grounds do not work at all and too much alters the ph of the surrounding soil