Digging up Trachys - how much root?

samtobuk

Digging up Trachys - how much root?

Post by samtobuk »

Going to buy a couple of nice sized fortuneis, and need to know how best to dig them out to minimise damage/stress.

The guy who grew them said that there was a 'tap root' between the two plants (not sure what he means by between exactly) and that if I cut through that when digging that it will be the end of both of them!? :(

Do you get tap roots on Trachys? Would they more likely be heading straight down rather than parallel to the surface? As you can see I'll be a little constricted for space so can only go so far out from the trunks, but how far out should I ideally dig and how far down would you expect these to be rooted (they've been in there a good few years by the looks of it).

Any advice appreciated, as I am really keen to get these out safely and into my garden! icon_salut
Attachments
Trachys.jpg
Trachy 1.jpg
Trachy 2.jpg
bordersboy

Re: Digging up Trachys - how much root?

Post by bordersboy »

I guess you dig as much out as you can physically lift without slipping a disc :lol:
The root you talk about could be from the trees/plants just over the fence ?
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Hello mate. Looking at the photos you've provided, it looks like they are close to the fence. You could gig out a good size on the opposite side but next to the fence will be a little more tricky.. id just dig as deep as you can and get as much rootball as you can.. Get a crowbar and prise them out.. Have fun.

Im thinking of digging mine out from the back of the garden soon, its also close to a shed and in a raised bed, probably end up damaging everything. Already dug out two huge bamboos as i put no barriers down and the neighbors have become proper mardy with me digging out my hedge that I've eventually replaced with fargseia robusta campbell.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Yep, think you are both right - take as much as I can get to and lift.

Just trying to picture what the rootball would look like below ground so I know how far to keep going down before starting to pry to get the whole thing to move.

Really not sure about the tap root thing, but was definitely talking about it being from the Trachys (or one of) - guess I'll just try to dig carefully, if there is such a thing! :lol:
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Try and picture them in pots and dig out a large pots worth.Say a foot from the trunk and 3 ft deep.Then see if you can loosen some soil off it and wrap in a damp cloth to protect the delicate root. They look like nice plants.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

id dig about 3 spade widths out from the trunk maybe 4.. just dig a circle around each trunk as big as you want... then once you've done that just dig deeper and use the spade to prise it a bit from every angle then once it starts to move a bit, drag it out of the hole.. thats how id do it... then get it in the ground at home with an already prepared hole some good soil and maybe some palm booster.. good luck again. I don't think they will have any problems with root disturbance unlike barhea armata etc
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Trachycarpus fortunei does not have a tap root, and all roots are thinner than a little finger. Anything thicker is not the Trachycarpus :wink:

Best way to dig out is to dug a trench around the palm a month or two before removal, but may not be possible if purchasing, or on the fence side as you'll want all of it as root ball.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

All good advice!, I've dug out a few large Trachycarpus's & when you first start to did out well established one's it can seem a little daunting as in most case's, even when you've trenched it all the way round they still don't feel like there coming out :) , then all of a sudden once you start excavating under them they just give way as the rootball is never very deep. karl.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Dug up quite a few trachys now and has been said no tap root and try to get a good amount of root but not to much that you can't move the things this is one in this post to give you an idea of what the roots were like. The palm has shown no problems since moving.http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 8&start=15
multim

Post by multim »

Just to give to an example, I bought one last month which had not been allowed to root very well..This was due to a fox digging out the soil to cache his dinner within the pot! Anyway, the Trachycarpus came home for £20 minus the freshly killed partridge found within the compost! Not a bad price for an 80cm trunk and new roots are beginning to show.
The image will show you just how little in the way of root ball is dug commercially. You, of course should dig as much root ball as you can. You will be surprised at just how much the palm and root ball weighs.
Attachments
4th Feb 2014.JPG
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks Brendan, had done a search but you topic hadn't shown up so that's a really useful reference to see how much root you took. I'll have to second guess the size to pre-dig the holes in their new home before I go to collect.

These are in a back garden, so can't pull them out with anything mechanical, but will take some rope and planks to lever them out with.

Will let you all know how I get on next weekend. 8)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Good luck
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Well, I picked a great day to be digging up two mature Trachys!! :lol:

Was a struggle, as you all implied it would be! Access was the biggest issue, just couldn't get in to dig wide enough due to them being planted too close to fencing. Still, think I got a decent amount on both, and hopefully enough for them to quickly settle in and rebuild. Had to loose quite a bit of soil off the bigger one as just couldn't lift the root ball otherwise (with two of us).

Have had to leave them overnight before planting, so have wrapped with some bubble just in case temps dip at all. In terms of best mix to drop them into, was thinking some claverings manure/mushroom compost with a bit of extra food (chicken pellets?) and a decent dose of rootgrow on the root ball. Any issues with that or better recommendations from experience?
Attachments
Trachy up.jpg
Trachy root.jpg
Trachy 3.jpg
multim

Post by multim »

Well done!
As I might have said before, I dig out the planting hole, larger than the root ball and mix with the soil composted stable manure. The loose, well rotted friable type and not the sticky horrible type. Back-fill and plant. You will also need to stake it until the roots get established - usually 2 years. Wind forecast later this week.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Soak that root ball before it completely dries out.