CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS var MACROCARPA

Huddy

CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS var MACROCARPA

Post by Huddy »

Does anyone know anything about this one or grow it? no doubt it looks just the same as the normal CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS.

Can't find much info on the net apart from simons description:

"CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS var MACROCARPA A very ancient variety of the European fan palm first described in 1882 and has fallen out of favour. This is very similar to the species but has much larger seeds, fruit and leaves. Just as hardy as the other varieties available"

Curious now to see what the leaf size is like icon_scratch
GoggleboxUK

Re: CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS var MACROCARPA

Post by GoggleboxUK »

There are Macrocarpa and Microcarpa versions of this palm, it just means big leaves and small leaves.

I got some seeds off Redsquirrel a while back and planted them straight out. Last time I checked I had about half a dozen sprouts.
Springy

Post by Springy »

GoggleboxUK wrote:There are Macrocarpa and Microcarpa versions of this palm, it just means big leaves and small leaves.

I got some seeds off Redsquirrel a while back and planted them straight out. Last time I checked I had about half a dozen sprouts.
I think I got some off of Redsquirrel too but mine were single strap leaved seedlings. They are tucked away in a corner with some other bits that he sent too. All growing away nicely at the moment but still too small to plant out. icon_sunny
David York

Post by David York »

[quote="GoggleboxUK"]There are Macrocarpa and Microcarpa versions of this palm, it just means big leaves and small leaves.

From the Greek karpos meaning fruit. Therefore large fruit and small fruit.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

David York wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:There are Macrocarpa and Microcarpa versions of this palm, it just means big leaves and small leaves.

I think GB is referiing to Macrofolia. :wink: Seriously does this plant actually have bigger leaves or just bigger fruits?
Huddy

Post by Huddy »

Still looking on the net, but limited info and no pics found as yet :(
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Not a valid name; probably some spammer's marketing ploy to sell extra plants.

And of course, you have to wait 10 or 15 years to get any fruit, so by the time you discover they're normal size, it's too late to change it and he's long gone off with your money . . . icon_moneyeyes
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

At last someone as cynical as me! Oh joy. :wink:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

David York wrote:

It's Latin, not Greek and it comes from Carpium which means 'bones'.

In botanical terms it's used a lot for trees and refers to the spreading canopy of branches oe, in the casr of Chammies, the fronds.

Macrocarpa, large fronds.

;)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
David York wrote:

I think GB is referiing to Macrofolia. :wink: Seriously does this plant actually have bigger leaves or just bigger fruits?
That's 'macrophylla'

;)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

versions of this palm, it just means big leaves and small leaves.

From the Greek karpos meaning fruit. Therefore large fruit and small fruit.[/quote][/quote]

I think GB is referiing to Macrofolia. :wink: Seriously does this plant actually have bigger leaves or just bigger fruits?[/quote]

That's 'macrophylla'

;)[/quote]

icon_study icon_salut
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_study Its all Greek to me. :roll:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
David York wrote:

It's Latin, not Greek and it comes from Carpium which means 'bones'.
Naah, it's from English, and it means 'large freshwater fish'

:lol:
David York

Post by David York »

GB, not altogether sure where your information is coming from, but I suggest you re-evaluate your source.

Whilst I did do Latin at school, I would be the first to agree that I'm no expert on languages, however, I can assure you that what you are stating is not correct.

Modern western languages, including Latin and English are broadly derived from Greek.

Trachycarpus for example means Rough Fruit. From the Greek Trakhus = Rough, Karpos = Fruit.

Macrocarpa = Large Fruit. From the Greek Makros = Large, Karpos = Fruit.

Carpus and carpa have the same meaning, the difference being the grammar.

A bit of research and all will be revealed.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I admire your commitment to your belief David but I'd imagine your studies were quite some time ago if they took place in a school. I studied ancient and modern languages at University and, perhaps, in slight;y more depth. My paternal grandmother was Greek and that's where I gained my interest in languages.

However, I'd also never claim to be an expert but I do feel that language corruption has become far more widespread due to the internet, and people taking what they read as gospel.

I'll agree to disagree and finish with this:

Trachycarpus, hmmm...

Rough Fruit:

Rough branches:

Now I'm not saying it's obvious but...

Back on topic, I did a bit of research and, aside from finding that many pictures of C.Humilis on the web are widely mislabelled, I did read an interesting article that said the Macrocarpa is an ancient form of the European Fan Palm that is difficult to find in uncrossed form these days.

Another article centred on the fact that Microcarpa and Vulcano, the Dwarf Fan Palm, orginated to the same region of the Meditteranean.

Below are examples of Microcarpa and Macrocarpa and, whilst any large fronded palm will inevitably have larger fruits, I would imagine that during the naming of the plant it would be more obvious that the frond size differed than the fruit size: