Just a pointer

stephenprudence

Just a pointer

Post by stephenprudence »

I'm not here to spread doom, but just pointing out there is potential for some fairly hard frosts later this week into weekend (for much of the country, but not all) and these have been quite consistently forecast over the last 4-5 days, so people may want to take some of the less hardy stuff into protection for those nights etc, but it's entirely up to you, if you don't think it's worth moving stuff then by all means ignore this post. icon_thumleft.

Personally, I wouldn't use the BBC 5 dayers to gauge the upcoming frosts as they can be rather innacurate, but I will give updates of where, and when, and how hard the frosts could be, over the next few days, if you wish.
RogerBacardy

Re: Just a pointer

Post by RogerBacardy »

Cheers for the pointer, I agree that it's gonna get a bit chillier at the weekend. icon_salut But hooray for the vernal equinox. 12hrs of sunlight virtually everywhere right now, so less time for frosts to do their damage.

I might move a few tender potted things and stick a bit of fleece in the crown of my Dicksonia antarctica. Would only take a minute. :)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

We are expecting frost this weekend Stephen, I haven't taken anything out the G/house but i will fleece the new leave's on the Trex..
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

A few hours around zero here, so only a light dusting of frost and not long enough to do any damage, but I'm glad I fleeced the emerging croziers on the Dicksonia anyway :)

My garden is so far ahead of schedule compared to other years... :) Reminiscent of 2011, where I only experienced a couple of frosts in Jan, and none in the rest of the year (Feb to Dec frost-free)!
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Didn't have a really hard frost here last night (around -1c) but even though I covered my T rex, a couple of its new leaves have gone limp!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Forget an early spring. If anything a prolonged easterly is likely to set up shop as we head into April :cry:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

It doesn't look too bad Tom although it won't be great locally for example in eastern areas.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Wow that was a cold one the other day. Must have been about -5c at mine. One of the coldest nights of the winter resulting in frozen bird baths,blackening of some Dicksonia antarctica fronds,wilted daffs/tulips.Luckily the sun was up bright and early so no lasting damage to fruit blossom etc.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Tom2006 wrote:Forget an early spring. If anything a prolonged easterly is likely to set up shop as we head into April :cry:
So has the easterly turned in to a south-easterly hence the warm days and nights? If so, amazing what a small change in wind direction can do.