a video from Madeira

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

a video from Madeira

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Had my first overseas family holiday last week and made this video looking at the plants around Funchal

https://youtu.be/4Wm3oMF_c2k
JonC

Re: a video from Madeira

Post by JonC »

Nice one Kris. I went there a couple of years ago, but only had a day and so I didn't get to see as much as you. I went to the garden at the top of the cable car route which I was impressed with. Having seen your video I am keen to go back and see more.

There is so much to see there. I loved all the small lizards that live in the wall crevices and the insects there. We also saw our first wasp spider in the orchid garden which was very impressive.

Did you do the toboggan down the hillside? It's one of the islands oddities. I imagine the kids would have loved it.

I will have to learn how to do those videos you do. I was in Berlin last week and visited the botanical garden and zoo there. I should take the time to video more rather than focus on stills.

Regards

Jon
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

How did you find it with the kids? Much for them to do? I'd love to go but was once told it wasn't too kid friendly.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Tom, we go each year in September and yes one of the attractions for us is the lack of things for children! No theme parks or funfairs but these days there are a few nice artificial sand beaches (ie not black and stony) most of the decent hotels also have good pools etc. there has been a rise in recent years of the over 10's being out and about on mountain bikes and walking and so on, there also also some water based activities.

I know from past experience that trying to keep the whole family happy is not easy and we often ended up just beaching it here at home
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Really sorry for delay in answering. I can't log in on laptop or desk top and errors on mobile! Anyway I'm on now so will quickly reply before I'm logged out.

It's certainly not a family focused destination but there's still things for children to do, mainly the pools and lido. I'm fortunate that my children enjoy looking around gardens as they've been brought up doing that :-) combined with the fact it was their first overseas holiday and time on a plane so everything was exciting.
Kids loved the lizards also plus having the pool almost to themselves.
Couldn't go on the sledges as wife is pregnant but sat in them when we saw them.

By far the best garden was the Monte gardens. They are incredible and don't listen to any taxi drivers that say they aren't worth visiting!

This particular video took far longer to edit compared to my regular episodes so glad people have enjoyed watching it.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Really sorry for delay in answering. I can't log in on laptop or desk top and errors on mobile! Anyway I'm on now so will quickly reply before I'm logged out.

It's certainly not a family focused destination but there's still things for children to do, mainly the pools and lido. I'm fortunate that my children enjoy looking around gardens as they've been brought up doing that :-) combined with the fact it was their first overseas holiday and time on a plane so everything was exciting.
Kids loved the lizards also plus having the pool almost to themselves.
Couldn't go on the sledges as wife is pregnant but sat in them when we saw them.

By far the best garden was the Monte gardens. They are incredible and don't listen to any taxi drivers that say they aren't worth visiting!

This particular video took far longer to edit compared to my regular episodes so glad people have enjoyed watching it.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I've been to both Monte Palace and the Jardim Botânico. I took a bus from Funchal centre to Monte Palace and walked downhill to the other garden. They're both great. The former is more landscaped with ponds, fountains, oriental features etc., while the latter is a sizeable collection of exotic plants... Madeira's mini-Kew.

As for Madeira in general, the main attraction for me were the walks in the island's mountainous and lush evergreen interior. I also did a whale and dolphin watching catamaran tour.

Beaches don't seem to be Madeira's strength, most are rocky, although there are some sandy ones too. I was there in December, not the best time of year for beach holidays anyway. There are lidos in artificial bays on the rocky coastline in and around Funchal, but most (or all) were closed.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Great video kris... Can't wait to be there!. Going early September.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Thanks for this video, Kris. Sand and I are still nurturing an ambition to see the gardens there. While there are some good gardens here in the Canaries they are no match for those in the cooler and moister Madeira climate.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think we might take our three in the next few years. Sounds like a great holiday!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

This is my favourite Madeiran garden from an Octobers visit, Palheiro (formally the Blandy gardens)

I am afraid they are in no particular order
225 by charliepridham, on Flickr

226 by charliepridham, on Flickr

227 by charliepridham, on Flickr

228 by charliepridham, on Flickr

229 by charliepridham, on Flickr

230 by charliepridham, on Flickr

I think I prefer the normal orange form of Tecoma capensis, how about other folk?
231 by charliepridham, on Flickr

232 by charliepridham, on Flickr

233 by charliepridham, on Flickr

234 by charliepridham, on Flickr

My copy of Tibouchina grandifolia flowered this year, but unlike urvilleana when I bring it in it slows down and stops, so the flowering period is sadly shorter
235 by charliepridham, on Flickr

236 by charliepridham, on Flickr

237 by charliepridham, on Flickr

238 by charliepridham, on Flickr

239 by charliepridham, on Flickr

241 by charliepridham, on Flickr

The Euryops flowers all winter here unless we get hard frost
242 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Bet the scent in the evenings is to die for
243 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Saw these planted at just 3' high
244 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Weeds like this you could put up with
245 by charliepridham, on Flickr

246 by charliepridham, on Flickr

248 by charliepridham, on Flickr

249 by charliepridham, on Flickr

251 by charliepridham, on Flickr

252 by charliepridham, on Flickr

253 by charliepridham, on Flickr
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Fantastic pictures Charlie...really wetted my appetite now. :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

karl66

Post by karl66 »

Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I have only just got back on here again, great video Kris and another reminder that we have to go back there.
All the gardens are fantastic and we used to walk to the Santa Catarina gardens nearly every night and just sit and stare.