New from Rotherham

Yorkshiretropical

New from Rotherham

Post by Yorkshiretropical »

Hello All,
I am a complete novice when it comes to gardening but my father loves his tropical plants, he has one of the most beautiful looking yucca rostrata in his tropical garden. Which gave me the interest in exotic plants. Even travelled down to Eden this year to enjoy the gardens (would highly recommend by the way if you haven't been). I now have a garden big enough to put my own stamp on, and I'm currently landscaping my back garden and doing the drive. I would love recommendations on good hardy plants to be planted in the garde and for the raised beds I am going to build at the front of the house.
Cheers
Dan
elge_onion

New from Rotherham

Post by elge_onion »

Hi Dan. Welcome to the board. Im pretty new to this style of gardening too. I found that there were lots of great ideas on pinterest. There is a great guy on here called Yorkshire Kris and he has an amazing channel on youtube which is a must for anyone starting out... especially in Yorkshire!

https://www.youtube.com/user/YorkshireKRIS

Ive made a playlist of youtube tropical gardens in u.k which i find helps with schemes and ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... tTrG7fRdHf

The best palm supplier is
https://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/

And my favourite online place to buy lovely plants is
http://www.turn-it-tropical.co.uk/shop/

And a fabulous nursery is not a million miles from you called Braithwells.

Happy digging x
Mind like Poison Ivy.... body like Grotbags[i[/i]
tatter

New from Rotherham

Post by tatter »

welcome Dan Elge as put some great links your way enjoy planning and take time on deciding what you want where and combinations. Plenty of advice on here once you get started.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

New from Rotherham

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. I haven't notice your post earlier, sorry. Im not sure how to look for the most recent posts yet.

We have just had a meet up at our house today, shame you couldn't come over.
rufc15lizzie

New from Rotherham

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Hi there.
Im sure Rotherham is turning into the tropical gardening hotspot of the UK.

New from Rotherham

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Dan icon_cheers
Tom2006

New from Rotherham

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome.

Good hardy plants to give you a backbone and an evergreen one at that are Trachycarpus, bamboo (avoid Sasa and none clump forming varieties), fatsia, phormium and ground ferns. Many other less hardy plants will survive with some protection in an average UK winter so decide what you like and ask away.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshiretropical

New from Rotherham

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the warm welcome. It’s greatly appreciated and thank you for the good advice. Apologies over the late reply I’m working nights. Thanks elge_onion for the links,I’m going to check out these sites on my break right now. Also thank you chez2 would have been good to pick your brain.
Chez2

New from Rotherham

Post by Chez2 »

Yorkshiretropical wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:34 am Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the warm welcome. It’s greatly appreciated and thank you for the good advice. Apologies over the late reply I’m working nights. Thanks elge_onion for the links,I’m going to check out these sites on my break right now. Also thank you chez2 would have been good to pick your brain.
I have a few plants left over, mine and those donated by other members who came to the meet. You are welcome to come over and pick a few of them up free of charge. I work from home so can work around your shifts. I don't know what your shift patterns are but I used to work 2 pm until 2 am so had a few hours in the morning before I went to work. There is no need to stay a long time. You can have a quick look at the garden and pick up the plants. I know you will be pushed for time if you call in the morning before work. I'm in Laughton near Dinnington.
chainsaw kid

New from Rotherham

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Dan, welcome to HTUK, plenty of free advice and free pants on here. Thanks to Chez. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

New from Rotherham

Post by Chez2 »

Its not just thanks to me chainsaw Kid, some of the plants were from Elge Onion and Kris / Yorkshire Kris.

I've just had a pm notification from you Yorkshire Tropical but when I logged on to read it it said you had deleted it, did you mean to?
Yorkshiretropical

New from Rotherham

I've sent you an email instead did you receive it?
Chez2

New from Rotherham

Post by Chez2 »

Yorkshiretropical wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm I've sent you an email instead did you receive it?
No, no separate email with an address to respond. I received an email / message via the forum but its a bit like a PM. It said you could come tonight but probably too short notice. When I clicked on it I got a message saying the author had deleted it. There was not email address from which it came, no email address to respond to which is why I thought it was a pm. Nothing else in my in box or junk mail in my emails.
dogman

New from Rotherham

Post by dogman »

Good to meet up yesterday Dan

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your garden project

Andrew
Yorkshiretropical

New from Rotherham

Thank you for the advice Andrew was really appreciated. You have a beautiful garden and some stunning plants. It was lovely to you meet you both. Will keep you updated just need the building work started now.