Yucca rostrata

ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

That was pretty much what I feared .... but wanted someone else to confirm!! Oh well, I assume that is cold/damp that’s done it? Never mind .... it can keep hot and dry out the way for the next year or so and we’ll see what happens. Strange how the opuntias thrive right next to it!
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

ourarka1 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 pm That was pretty much what I feared .... but wanted someone else to confirm!!
We have just taken delivery of one. I will try and remember to take a photo of the roots when we take it out of the pot.
karl66

Yucca rostrata

Post by karl66 »

These certainly are fussy plant's in part's of uk, I bought a stonking one with approx. four feet of trunk & stunning head in 2011....planted out from the start in south/west position in 100% draining medium ,looked fantastic for five years then started a decline for no apparent reason,it's now growing offsets around base but the main head even in this current summer has shown little sign of recovery. I'm a devil for punishment though & bought another even larger one to try again!. As previously said ...linearis are the best suited here in uk if you don't want hassle of constant rain shelter building.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

Which do people recommend more, particularly for damp rather than cold (it never gets ridiculously cold here)? Linearis/linearifolia or Thompsoniana?
karl66

Yucca rostrata

Post by karl66 »

Linearis ….100%.
I grow thompsonia as a very large specimen & this get's slight damage but recover's rapid in late spring/ early summer, I grow large specimen rostrate but here they take an age to look good once damaged.....mostly they never recover fully.
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

ourarka1 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am Which do people recommend more, particularly for damp rather than cold
Why don't you get in touch with Nigel at Hardy Palms? He has some bargains on yuccas and dasylirions at the moment. I always tell him our conditions, tell him the look i'm after and he tells me what will do well and what we can take a chance on. Our soil is free draining and we are on a south facing slope though. We are 'up north' and quite rural but all our plants from Nigel have done really well, we have had several batches over the last four years.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Yucca rostrata

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

rostrata has been tough for me and not faulted. I have a couple in the front garden and one in the back which don't get protected. I did have a rostrata which was probably crossed with something else as it had finer leaves that did rot on the side so has since pupped with three decent small plants now developing.
tatter

Yucca rostrata

Post by tatter »

Rostrata was ok foe me last winter as well although it did have plastic greenhouse over it.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

I found mine did better uncovered so the wind could dry it out. The first two years the ends were damaged where they had touched the plastic table that was covering the plant.
tatter

Yucca rostrata

Post by tatter »

I did tie mine up to be fair and did open the front to ventilate on good days
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
karl66

Yucca rostrata

Post by karl66 »

There are obviously variants of rostrata, my planted out one took seven years to start looking crappe. also started pupping ,time will tell with the other large one that's been planted this year....almost nothing gets protection here, if anything fail's they get donated to someone with greenhouse or dumped. I prefer to create a natural looking jungle garden rather than a warren of timber frames/ Sheets.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

In the end, I’ve decided to go a slightly different route. I’d always fancied a large columnar cactus there and found a 1m high Trichocereus peruvianus at a great price. I won’t plant out until next Spring but will be much easier to protect in winter due to the lack of fronds!! Most research suggests it’s got a good chance of kept dry ..... and at the price I got it, I’m willing to take the chance.

Also got a big Euphorbia ingens from the same place - anyone grown this (indoors or out)?