Help with ID

grahamfx

Help with ID

Post by grahamfx »

Hello, fairly new to tropical plants, saw this today, £3.50 which I thought was a bargain but don't
know what it is, banana ?? canna ?? help please !!
plant.jpg
JonC

Help with ID

Post by JonC »

Looks like Musa Cavendish to me. Definitely a banana. £3.50 is a bargain for this plant.
tatter

Help with ID

Post by tatter »

I would agree looks like Cavendish my local garden center was selling them earler in the year for six quid I think.
Looks like knocking price down so they don't have to over winter them. Anyway deffo a banana.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
GREVILLEAJ

Help with ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Your Musa dwarf Cavendish has the tell tale sign of the dark markings on young leaves. These fade on as the plant matures when larger new leaves appear with no markings at all.

Don't let this banana experience prolonged temperatures below 13c this autumn and winter. The plant will slip into dormancy and never recover. They will basically become comatose and it will slowly fade away rhe following summer.

I kept my first one in front of a sunny porch door all winter with the room centrally heated and it grew beautifully into the next summer being potted on twice. By the end of the next summer it was huge. Cleared off for a family winter holiday for two weeks with the central heating off.....Big mistake! it was bitterly cold and grey for most of my absence. When each of the lower leaves turned yellow and shrivelled one by one with the roller last to go I binned it the following summer.

Learned my lesson. I keep my current one warm and cosy every winter
grahamfx

Help with ID

Post by grahamfx »

Thanks for the help everyone :)