My first fig crop

otorongo

My first fig crop

Post by otorongo »

The young 'Brown Turkey' produced its first figs in the late summer and they stayed green for a long time. I thought they would never ripen. Just a few days ago they were still green. Earlier this week I was pleasantly surprised when I checked on them again and they were ripe.

Nice to have fresh fruit in November!

Morever, the loquat has started flowering. This year it didn't produce any fruit, but it did the year before and it was delicious. Fingers crossed for a mild winter and a good crop this coming spring.

Chez2

My first fig crop

Post by Chez2 »

Well done you! The birds would have eaten ours before it got that ripe. They usually beat me to it.
tracky ted

My first fig crop

Post by tracky ted »

I have a fig tree a few fruit this year which have turned brown but they say they are not ripe till the sag on the stalk.
otorongo

My first fig crop

Post by otorongo »

Trachycarpus ted wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 pm they say they are not ripe till the sag on the stalk.
Brown are already edible and good, but if you wait until they sag, they may turn sweeter.
tracky ted

My first fig crop

Post by tracky ted »

A few years back my fig tree formed one fair sized fruit . After a time it turn from green to brown and I looked forward to having my first home grown fig. One morning I went down to drool over it having a close look AHHHH there was a trail of ants going up the trunk along the branch in to the fig and out again. Well you cant win them all.