Yucca rostrata

Adrian

Yucca rostrata

Post by Adrian »

Does anyone have a really nice rostrata? Im not on about one bought this year or even last year but one thats been in the ground for a while.
The reason I ask is that mine has just gone downhill over three years. It spent two years in the greenhouse and was planted out into my arrid border this spring in the best spot in the garden.
Although it keeps pushing out new leaves they seem to be half dead, its now at a point where it looks terrible.
It was planted out with a decent rootball as the pic below shows and its in very well draining soil and in a good sunny spot, I just dont know whats wrong with it.
I hear a lot about people buying rostrata but dont hear a lot afterwards.
Is this the 'yatay' of the Yucca world? or is it just mine thats crappe?
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Ade i have one that looks crappe as well, i'll post a pic tomorrow
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've only had mine a year now so can't really comment on it as its only really started growing new leaves.
I was hoping to plant it out next year,but I may wait til the following one to let it establish a good rootball first.Hopefully it'll start looking a bit nicer by then too.
Don

Post by Don »

Mines only been out this year-so it's early days.
I've never quite understood the need for the plant to build roots in the pot. Is it not better to let it build up root in the ground and avoid disturbance and a root bound log.
Steve-I like the skirt look on your plant-they will eventually hang vertically and look great.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Try sticking it in the green house over summer. A lot of American plants can take big freezes but must have 100F heat to do well in summer. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Thanks Don,
Can't take credit for the skirt though,thats the way it came from Nigel.
I'll probably plant it out in the spring,once i figure out what to move/remove from my arid bed to squeeze it in.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ade, I dont know if you saw Bills, but he had 4 or 5 together and they all looked good except one, and it sounds exactly the same as yours.
Its almost as if they contract a fungul infection or virus and then go downhill.
But it only seems to be an odd one, the infection in Bills remains confined to the one plant eventhough its next to several other healthy ones.
turtile

Post by turtile »

Here is one that is close to my house (just posted on another board). I have no clue how old it is but another member said it has been there at least 10 years as far as he knows.

Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Ade don't give up i have had this 2 years and the damage is starting to grow out. Nice pic Turtile

cheers Tony
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I've heard mixed reviews about Yucca rostrata. Getting the planting and drainage right and having a good root system are necessary but mostly it depends on the plant itself, some are finicky, some are not. Nigel's example seems to indicate that too.

Only bought mine spring this year so early days. It only had two roots when planted so I've used Palmbooster on it. It still looks healthy but will leave it outside all winter.

I'm after a Yucca with a tall trunk for next spring but I'll get a Yucca linearis and Yucca thompsoniana instead, which some say are more reliable.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks for your replies, its a different sort of damage to yours Palmer, Ill do a pic on saturday when its light enough.
Mark, linearis or linearifolia as its now called is a fantastic yucca, my favourite for sure, apparently very hardy too so we'll see this winter as I only got mine last winter and it stayed in the greenhouse till spring.
If my rostrata is a one in twenty, or more, finicky one then Ill have to curse my luck (and the scrote who gave it to me :wink: ) and maybe look at getting another later on.
Dave, poking it in the greenhouse wont help mine, I had it in there for two years and it was going downhill so I was advised to plant it out. I wont give up on it just yet, Ill see what this winter and a fresh spring start will do to it first.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Looking forward to getting a Y.linearis/linearifolia next year. Everyone I've asked about it so far have praised this Yucca for being hardy and reliable :)

Goodluck with the rostrata, hope it recovers in spring. I know some who has them for years and they've been succesful with them so far, without any winter protection. It's like a plant lottery, just luck whether you get a finicky one or not.
Carol JA

Post by Carol JA »

I have some that I have grown from seed, I have never had problems with them, but I had one that I bought, it looked pathetic for a couple of years before it started to look healthier. Maybe just takes a few years to adjust....
Don

Post by Don »

Yucca rigida is also reputedly hardier than rostrata-
it looks very similar, although it seems less available.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

The two Rostrata's in the pic bellow have been in the ground for at least two winters now with no problems.
The large one at the back (from Nigel) came with no roots. We planted it out straight away, only finding out afterwards that we should have potted it up first but it doesn't seem to have done it any harm.
All the yuccas on the bank are now getting there feet down and really starting to flourish.
The ones on the left and right are Y linearifolia, the multi headed one far right is Y thompsoniana, the small one bottom right, not to sure, any idea's.