Welcome to the Hardy Tropicals Forum

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Welcome to the Hardy Tropicals Forum

Post by Dave Brown »

:D Welcome to the Hardy Tropicals Forum :D

Hi, I'm Dave Brown the grower of the hardy tropical looking palms and exotics, at Chalk in Kent, England. Latitude N51.26, Longitude E00.23

I had hoped to get the website ready earlier, before we started to advertise on eBay, but as I have a full time job in the IT industry, the data to populate the site has been a bit slow. Apologies to my son Aidan (webmaster), and Kim, who runs Hardy Tropicals, for this.

Over a period of time I would like to share my exotics growing experiences with you, and learn from yours. It is amazing, you may find someone near to you, is growing something quite unusual, that you never thought possible in your area, but you may not be able to see it in their back garden.

I will add information on the website, and into the forum, and invite you to register and do the same. If you wish to remain anonymous, as a guest, you will be able to post, but any inapriopriate material will be removed.

I hope you enjoyed visiting the site. It will, be added to, as soon as time allows, but if you have any questions please ask, either on the forum or via email.

Regards
Dave
Last edited by Dave Brown on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

Hi

Just to clear up any confusion that may occur, to post on this forum you must be a registered user and be logged in. Registration is free so if you havent got an account sign up here now.

This is to stop spam posts which did start occuring on this site. These where advertising non site related products (you can guess).

Anyway had to clear that up, so go forth and post!!

Admin
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have been a prevelent poster on ukoasis over the last 8 months, as there was a wealth of knowledge in its members. However, the moderation on that forum has been very whimsical (if that is a word) allowing some members to be obnoxious, while others recently are jumped on for spelling errors. It seems to be more a club for those with knowledge, and not very newcomer friendly :cry:

This forum, will not tolerate personal attacks, by members on other members, but providing everyone can understand what you are trying to say, I say YAY, go ahead and post. The more the merrier. :D All newcomers to the wonderful world of exotic gardening are very welcome. We can't guarentee to answer everything, but will give it a go. :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

hi

Post by Gaz »

Hi Mav, or should we say Dave on here.

Just thought we would take the plunge and join another forum.

Gaz and Nurse Mark from UKO!!
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I've been very :( about the other place recently.

Most posts seem politcal. Its been my :D for all the winter, but now.... its lost its way.

I hope all gets restored.

Lucien
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Welcome aboard Gaz n Mark and Lucien. 8) I will be putting updates on the Colocasia and Alocasia progress. ukoasais seems to have got over a lot of its moderator problems, but are still not overjoyed about the number of Coli and Ali topics and posts. :? To me this is a mistake as they are becoming very popular, which is why so many questions are asked. :wink:

Best regards
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GARYnNAT »

Hi all,
Took the plunge to, the Oasis has calmed down but I am not happy with having post's edited
Anyway will be keeping out of all that from now on its plants only for me

hope we can get more to join the forum Dave, that way if those that be start tossing there toys out of the pram again at least we will have somewhere to go without all the hassle:D

Gary
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I stopped posting whilst it all kicked off.

Theres no way i'm leaving the Oasis... but its nice to have another "garden" to visit and chat in - feels more private (no offence Mav) with I guess less lurkers.

:)

Lucien
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm not leaving the oasis either. I thought the moderators were being very picky, but it looks like they were too lenient to start with, which allowed a situation to escalate. :roll:

This forum will not have the expertise, of UKO, but hopefully will allow more informal, chat that will encourage people to post. :D To me there is no such thing as a stupid question, whereas botanic experts may find it beneath them. I learn something new every day :wink:

Best regards Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Don »

Dave Brown wrote: I thought the moderators were being very picky, but it looks like they were too lenient to start with. :roll:
Ah.so you were wrong then :lol:
I think it took a fair bit of detective work to weed out the miscreants. UKO is a better place after that culling.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: I thought the moderators were being very picky, but it looks like they were too lenient to start with. :roll:
Ah.so you were wrong then :lol:
I think it took a fair bit of detective work to weed out the miscreants. UKO is a better place after that culling.
Welcome aboard Don.

I'm always prepared to say when I have got it wrong, unless I belive otherwise, :roll: as it reduces unnecessary confrontation. I believe this sort of forum should be a friendly place to visit, and will moderate on that premise.

I don't think a moderator can moderate on a topic or arguement they are actively involved in, so my son, who does not post other than on technical issues, is also a moderator. He tells me often he does not agree with me so he will be impartial.

I hope UKO is over the worst now :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright