OT do you know whats wrong with my camera

SteveW

OT do you know whats wrong with my camera

Post by SteveW »

Afternoon all,
I'm having problems getting my laptop to access my camera.
I normally plug in the camera to the dock,then connect it to the laptopand turn the camera on.The computer then asks me what it wants me to do,ie view files,open with picassa etc.But when I do this it just opens to a blank file,says no device found or insert disc :?
Now I'm no expert,but something is definately wrong.
I've tried restarting the laptop,but no luck there.
I guess its not the cable as when the camera is awitched on the computer knows its connected.It just can't read whats there.Is it a camera or laptop problem?and is there anything I can do/try to solve it?
Steve
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Problem not fixed,but I bought a card reader today and that works fine.
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Steve is it a USB connection? These can play up and may need the drivers reloading. Sometimes things can play up after a software update. It knows something is there but if the driver is screwed, it doesn't know what. Did the camera come with a CD? What operating system you running... XP. Vista, Linux? and what version? :?

You can always try deleting the device using device manager (Operating system dependent) once deleted when you plug it in it should say new hardeware found, and ask to load the drivers. Don't delete the wrong one though :?

My son knows far more about PC configuration. He has been away for a few days but is back tomorrow morning. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Hi Dave ,
Yes its a USB and I'm on XP although I've no idea what version :roll:
I think I'll try to reload the server and see what happens,in the meantime at least I've got a way to trasfer with the card reader.
Steve
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

Hi

Have you fixed the problem with the usb cable?

If not i can give you step by step instructions how to uninstall the driver and reinstall it.

Aidan
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi Aidan,
I've not got round to trying to fix it yet,so any instructions tou could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

Hi

these steps should uninstall and then re-install the camera drivers.

1. plug in your camera.
2. open the start menu and right click on my computer, when the drop down menu appears click manage. this will open a new window.
3.on the left hand column of this window click device manager.
4.in the right hand area of that window click the plus sign next to imaging devices.

now there should be your camera's name/model shown under imaging devices. if it is right click it and click uninstall.

this should uninstall the drivers for your camera. once this is done unplug the camera and plug it in again this will re-install the drivers and fingers crossed your camera should be working as it was before the problems started :D

Aidan
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi Aidan,
Thanks for showing me how to do that,unfortuanatly it hasn't worked.I'm going to try the camera on a freinds computer to see whether its the camera thats playing up or my laptop.
Steve