Staunton Country Park Trachycarpus

ash101uk

Staunton Country Park Trachycarpus

Post by ash101uk »

I read an article by Nathan online about a couple of palms at the Staunton Country Park. This is just up the road from where I work so I had a look today after work.

Not good :ahhh!: The top of the trunk seems to have fire damage. Does anyone have any info about the demise of this Trachycarpus.
Attachments
015-13.jpg
photo2.JPG
photo.JPG
Conifers

Re: Staunton Country Park Trachycarpus

Post by Conifers »

Certainly looks to be deceased, but I can't see any evidence of fire damage. Palms are often fairly fireproof too, as the growing point and trunk vascular system are hard for the flames to reach.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

lightening strike maybe?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

That's a shame, though it was quite a ratty looking specimen, planted where it received a blasting by northerly winds...

If it was set alight, it would probably have been the 'skirt' of dead fronds that were lit & as the location of the palm is in Leigh Park (very rough council estate, infact one of the biggest council estates in Europe) it most probably was some chavs... icon_thumbdown

I don't see what else could have killed it to be honest as temperatures even up in Havant have not gone anywhere near as low as to damage a Trachycarpus, let alone kill one...
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The Trachys in the Garden of Reflection in the middle of Fareham have been set alight a few times, the hairy trunks are just too tempting for the butters with nothing else to do.
I havent walked through that garden for a couple of years now so not sure how the Trachys or the CIDPs have fared.
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Just had a look on google maps at the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and it doesn't look good.
Attachments
Fareham_CIDP.jpg
Fareham_CIDP.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

There were 3 of them Ash and very nice specimens as well, that was a few years back mind.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

A lot of the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's around Fareham way took a bad hit after last winter, including some right in the town centre. If they recovered I'm sure this winter may finish them off sadly...
jonny

Post by jonny »

Staunton is a lovely place to visit with some nice plants. I must get over there this year to see how the gingers that i donated to them are doing. It must have been parkers that did this. Maybe they were just trying to keep warm after blowing all their giros on booze and class A drugs :lol: