Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

davidjonesUK

Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by davidjonesUK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:20 pm

hi there im planing on buying some of this for my plants but theres so many types so can some one help me please which is the right one and i only need a small bottle heres the website:-

http://www.food-grade-hydrogen-peroxide.co.uk/
icon_thumright

Nathan

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:35 pm

I just buy a bottle of the stuff used to mix with powder bleach, (to go blonde), from the chemist. This stuff has always worked for me on spear pulled palms, it's cheap too...

davidjonesUK

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by davidjonesUK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Nathan wrote:I just buy a bottle of the stuff used to mix with powder bleach, (to go blonde), from the chemist. This stuff has always worked for me on spear pulled palms, it's cheap too...


i was planing on using it on a tree fern hahaha :lol:

Nathan

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm

davidjonesUK wrote:
Nathan wrote:I just buy a bottle of the stuff used to mix with powder bleach, (to go blonde), from the chemist. This stuff has always worked for me on spear pulled palms, it's cheap too...


i was planing on using it on a tree fern hahaha :lol:
Hmmm, not sure if it will work on a Tree Fern to be honest...

davidjonesUK

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by davidjonesUK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 pm

you know anyway of making a tree fern have a better survival rate as i think mynes not looking good :(

User avatar
Mick C
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Mick C » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 pm

I used some in the crown of a Dicksonia antarctica last year, it fizzed away happily though I could not be sure how much good it did. I bought 35% food grade off Ebay, 1 litre bottle I think.

It's nasty stuff at that strength though, I got a bit on my fingers as the cap wasn't tightly screwed on the bottle, luckily I washed it off quickly; I don't think I'd order it for delivery again.

I used it diluted to about 3%.

davidjonesUK

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by davidjonesUK » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Mick C wrote:I used some in the crown of a Dicksonia antarctica last year, it fizzed away happily though I could not be sure how much good it did. I bought 35% food grade off Ebay, 1 litre bottle I think.

It's nasty stuff at that strength though, I got a bit on my fingers as the cap wasn't tightly screwed on the bottle, luckily I washed it off quickly; I don't think I'd order it for delivery again.

I used it diluted to about 3%.

well did your Dicksonia antarctica survive hahaha that would prove it :wink:

Vic

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Vic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:00 pm

I'd go for the first one, its the cheapest and it will last you ages as its highly concentrated. Just remember to dilute correctly as 6% should do it nicely.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I bought 5 ltr 35% food grade last year, but as has been said at that strength it needs to be treated with respect. 35% will probably take your skin off down to the flesh. I got some on my thumb and it blistered the skin, but you can't feel it.

I store it in the shed as don't want it in the house, and when diluting I pour into a pirex jug then precisely measure using a measured syringe.

Vic I would be careful of 6% on softer plants. I soaked Colocasia mammoth rhizomes in 6% last year and the sprout rate was much lower than those that I didn't soak. I'm currently using 3% max :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

User avatar
Mick C
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Mick C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:44 pm

davidjonesUK wrote:
Mick C wrote:I used some in the crown of a Dicksonia antarctica last year, it fizzed away happily though I could not be sure how much good it did. I bought 35% food grade off Ebay, 1 litre bottle I think.

It's nasty stuff at that strength though, I got a bit on my fingers as the cap wasn't tightly screwed on the bottle, luckily I washed it off quickly; I don't think I'd order it for delivery again.

I used it diluted to about 3%.

well did your Dicksonia antarctica survive hahaha that would prove it :wink:

It just about scraped through, throwing up one single frond in mid summer - and I mean 'up', it went straight up vertically and stayed that way for weeks. It looked ridiculous :roll: . Eventually a couple of more small fronds came out as well.

I'm hoping it will have somehow survived again this year, but I wouln't put money on it.

User avatar
The Codfather
Posts: 6436
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Location: Darlington, C.O. Durham

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by The Codfather » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Can someone please explain why and how this works........when to useit and on what plants.

Ta
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !

davidjonesUK

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by davidjonesUK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

well before i buy it my Dicksonia antarctica in the crown seems like a stickyish slime mixed in with the hair and the other half dry and fine icon_scratch

User avatar
DiCasS
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:59 pm
Location: Hereford

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by DiCasS » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 pm

You can also buy this from the pharmaceutical counter in supermarkets. Last year it cost 99p for a small bottle @ 6% strength.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.

Vic

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Vic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Vic I would be careful of 6% on softer plants. I soaked Colocasia mammoth rhizomes in 6% last year and the sprout rate was much lower than those that I didn't soak. I'm currently using 3% max :wink:

Dave, i have only used it in the crowns of my robusta and filifera. But thanks for the warning. I will probably make up a 3% solution and use as a spray to get a better coverage on less damaged areas.

After looking at David jones link, i did not realise how many uses there are for h202. I'm off to run a bath now and have a soak in it :wink:

Tiddy

Re: Help H2O2 ( Hydrogen Peroxide )

Post by Tiddy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 am

I dont know what this does for plants! anyone care to explain?? I always feed my Dicksonia antarctica's with chem-pak high nitrogeon feed and get amazing results. icon_cheers

Post Reply