trying a Washingtonia Filifera?

palm lad

trying a Washingtonia Filifera?

Post by palm lad »

Hi everyone, i'm just starting to order new plants for this year and i've come across a Californian Fan Palm in one of my catalogues. the book says it is hardy to -15 deg C, and is fast growing, great! :o

but would be it worth a try this far north and grow properly? and should i go for a small size palm or get the biggest size possible just to be safe & sure? any ideas appreciated :-)
Conifers

Re: trying a Washingtonia Filifera?

Post by Conifers »

-15° is a lie :shock: more like -5° in UK conditions where the cold lasts longer and penetrates deeper. Sorry, not a chance up this end of the country, unless you have a big greenhouse. Go for Trachycarpus fortunei instead.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Palm lad it will be fine as a potted specimen that can be kept dry over winter in a conservatory or garage etc. I wouldn't chance it totally unprotected outside. You may get away with it for a few years with overhead protection but at some stage it will perish. Still worth getting but don't expect it to survive like a Trachycarpus.

Where can you get a real filifera from in variuos sizes? Most are robustas or filibustas.
I have kept one of those B&Q multi trunked washies going for 4 winters with just a fleece bag over the top. It came through last winter fine. I chickened out last December and hauled it into the garage where it is in perfect condition.
Ste

Post by Ste »

My filifera just spear pulled about 4 hours ago. Minus 15 is a load of b*****s. If you are leaving it outside all the time then I dont reckon you will have it next year, not with the temps we have here in the north. Although they do look great in the summer, I am buying another one this year, I know it will die again but I get really good sized ones for £30 each so I think its worth spending £30 on a new one each year.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Any type of Washingtonia is a no go up this far north and never will be, even Chamaerops isn't hardy up here. Stick to the absolute hardiest palms like others have said..
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I've got a Washy Robusta in a 50L pot, nearly 2m tall.

It will be going in the ground, and with some clever protection scheme (yet to be devised :lol: ) it will survive the north.

It will I telll you.

:DD

Perhaps this:

Plus a few rope lights for heat.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's ace!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hilliers have just got those in, pop up greenhouses.
Plastic is probably guarrenteed for at least 2 months.
Would you sit out in one of those for a cuppa or a nice bottle of red :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

MikeC wrote:I've got a Washy Robusta in a 50L pot, nearly 2m tall.

It will be going in the ground, and with some clever protection scheme (yet to be devised :lol: ) it will survive the north.

It will I telll you.

:DD

Perhaps this:

Plus a few rope lights for heat.
how do you expect an old lady to keep your palm warm icon_scratch :lol:
derrick

Post by derrick »

I dont no if my small Washy has made it yet it has no leaves like last year green in the center no spear pull its on the edge .They dont like being coverd for to long with shelter as they get mould if not coverd they get fried.Its take the shelter of then put on again and hope.The Washy behind my house looks good but its just to close to the house.Are be planted a 2nd out this year thats in my conserv.I feel like spending some money on a large Washy but are see how the small do.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Mr List wrote:how do you expect an old lady to keep your palm warm icon_scratch :lol:

Oi, that's my missus you're talking about!

:wink:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

:oops: