Chamaerops humilis cerifera

Simba

Re: Chamaerops humilis cerifera

Post by Simba »

Adrian wrote:If you check through a batch of ceriferas youll often come across different leaf forms, the PC wont of heard of any different named forms because there arent any, its probably just down to variation but there is a huge difference..
I do understand what you mean Adrian, and I have seen this even in the standard green variety at Todds.
Some leaves are stiff and wide, almost Trachycarpus like, but other plants are so fine that they almost remind me of Papyrus.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Great plants, Adrian icon_cheers

Your pics pose a little puzzle for me. My cerifera looks to be somewhere in between the two of yours icon_scratch It has been growing in the same tub for seven years and is very pot bound. It still looks very healthy and came through December without a mark.

I'll try and get my wife's camera and post a shot for comparison.
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Hi Adrian. Your cerifera looks lovely. I'd like to buy a large one of these. Where did you get yours from?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Both of my ceriferas came from the Palm Centre many years ago, the largest one came from one of the first batches (that I know of) and has been extremely slow growing, only of late has it started to speed up.
Buying big is going to cost you a fortune.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Here are some images of my ceriferas. As well as these I have a smaller one with proportionally bigger leves that are not as finely cut.
Attachments
edited web feb 2011004.jpg
edited web feb 2011018.jpg
edited web feb 2011019.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Plus these two silver leafed palms. Any guess as to what they are?
Attachments
edited web feb 2011002.jpg
edited web feb 2011003.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i want to get the largest ceriferas on the palm centres website (£130)
has anybody got a picture of what one would look like at that size?

edit

they have changhed their webpage

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/ProductDeta ... ductID=386

the one at £150
medjool

Post by medjool »

Great palm Cerifera i have about 20 small clustering Ceriferas bought last Summer many different,one with almost Waggie stiff leaves!
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I've got three Chamaerops to plant out when the weather gets better. Looking at the photos on the palmCnetre site they don't seem to grow much wider just up. Mine are probably about 2' wide and high. To know where to plant them what rate of growth can I expect over the next ten years.
multim

Post by multim »

I have a few Cerifera's, all bought from The Palm Centre. They may take some time to get their roots down and get comfortable before much top growth is seen 1-2 years.
I'll attach some images.
Note that the blue leaf colour in the last image has washed away in upper growth, but the others which did grow show nice blue leaves.
I have 5 of these and do not give them any protection whatsoever.

Yorkshire Kris - the palm looks to be a Brahea Armata.
Attachments
Small costing around £30 in sale
Small costing around £30 in sale
This size £149. Grew well last year despite the weather
This size £149. Grew well last year despite the weather
Planted last year, no growth yet-bargain at £70 for 50cm trunk.
Planted last year, no growth yet-bargain at £70 for 50cm trunk.
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Are the Cerifera as hardy as the usual chamaerops humilis?? I had a whopper chamaerops humilis that gradually died in the cold winters of recent years but I have done over a Cerifera too in the milder winters prior to that.
I've killed most things so not sure if the adds to anything. icon_scratch
multim

Post by multim »

I would say that they are equally if not more hardy than humilis, if given a well drained and sunny position. That is indeed, IF we ever get some sun! I have found that if the crown gets waterlogged and then freezes (as mine did last Winter 2011/12) any emerging leaves will take on a stunted appearance. This will soon become unnoticeable when the new leaves appear.
medjool

Post by medjool »

Hi there nice Cerifera ,how long have you had these and what size were they from the Plam Centre,to me they are slow!
multim

Post by multim »

Thanks. All have been in the ground for 2 years. The one in the second image shows, although not exactly clear, a greener patch of growth below the blue. All of the blue upper growth was the leaves produced last year and have shown no signs of blue waxy coating being washed off during the rain. As you can see, when they have been planted and are happy where they are, they really do get going. The initial trunk height was about 40cm and it has grown another 4cm or more. These really appreciate a sunny, well drained position. As with all planting, the hole prep is most important - twice the width and depth incorporating grit and perlite to the soil before back-filling. My soil is naturally alkaline and well drained anyway which helps. I have found that The Palm Centre usually has plenty of plants which are not shown on the website and many may be found for a bargain price. Always worth a visit if close enough.
I did see some nice bushy ones at Trevena Cross in Cornwall last year, although I think they were around £250 plus 40 odd quid delivery. These don't even get a mention on their website.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I really do like cerifera and still fondly look at pics before 2009/10. Have to move on though, but no harm in comparing what has been planted since then. As for hardiness, the couple of run up Winters before December 2009 we had low temperatures for here, -9 and -12 (if I remember rightly, definitely thereabouts) cerifera suffered slightly in the -9 and badly in the -12, but it was protected slightly by the leaves of a taller Trachycarpus. Next year - the -17 in that part of the garden killed the main growing point stone dead. It had quite a few suckers of which a couple are still growing, so it didn't kill it completely. Personally, I haven't noticed much difference here between the hardiness of the green or silver/blue form.

Yours are looking good Multim icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.