soil warming

Mr List

soil warming

Post by Mr List »

i hear lots of talk about the soil being to cold now or that plants start to grow as the soil warms up.

i know people use plastic or cloches to artificially warm up the soil are there other ways to do this?

why wouldnt pouring not warm but not cold water around the garden help?

(i dont really know anything about gardening so if this sounds stupid please be nice)
Conifers

Re: soil warming

Post by Conifers »

To warm up the soil enough, you'd need so much hot water that you'd end up waterlogging the soil, which would defeat the purpose. And it would soon get cold again by evaporative cooling.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

because the soil is already wet so you don't want it even wetter or rot may start. Also, it would go cold after an hour.....patients.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Not sure about warming the whole garden but you can warm spots.
I recall Dave saying that he waters plants with warm water even to the extend of filling a paddling pool and leaving it in the sun :lol:

I suspect there is something in it but if i emptied the hot water tank before her indoors has her barth in the evening i would be in the doghouse
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

yeh, but not now......in the summer.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

Put the pots in the microvave...HAHAHAAHA

I always water my plants with tepid water, for seedlings I always have a misting bottle (sparay) handy at room temp.
but if i emptied the hot water tank before her indoors has her barth in the evening i would be in the doghouse
LOL :lol: :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well how about hardy plants that like water and are in pots,
like bamboo?

any warming to be done with water to start them early?
kata

Post by kata »

No,

Just water tepid Mr list. Get some weeks before pushing it. It IS only feb.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I always water the more tropical exotics with warm water. but it needs to be done regularly to keep the soil warmer. The problem with tap water is in spring and summer it is cooler than the top 6 inches of soil. The last thing you want to do is cool it down.

Here is the paddling pool water heater 23rd April
water.jpg
Here water at about 28C on 21st May
Wa.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

i always water with the mister on the hose pipe so it is less of a shock as in mist form it warms up pretty quickly.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Possible water the area around the plants with warm water. then cover with a cloche, this should act as a Greenhouse.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

My water butt warms up very nicely in summer. Must admit I haven't considered this issue before. That said isn't rain cold in summer...relatively speaking?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

plastic sheeting or temporary polytunnels are best for early soil warming. however, usually ends up being a pain because

a) the sheets can blow about in the wind even weighed down
b) spring bulbs get squashed at some point
c) it looks crappe for ages!

i must admit patience is a virtue at this time of year. too much tinkering, overwatering pots, feeding, pruning old leaves, etc leads to problems come May. some stuff is best left well alone as dave keeps reminding people.

better off getting the patio washer out before the pots emerge, cleaning your tools, raking the lawn, chitting potatoes, etc
Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Hi
my o/h is a plumber and he says a good indicator that the soil local to you is warming is if you have a combi boiler , you start getting better hot water flow rates as the water in the ground isn't as cold . I think thats what he said icon_scratch
mouse

Post by mouse »

:D that sounds about right hoops icon_thumleft