Best spot for a t-rex?

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Tom2006 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 pm

I got my t-rex today thanks to a very very kind person on this forum! icon_salut icon_cheers I have potted it up to try and get its roots established. Just wondering where the best spot in a garden is to put it please?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

fieldfest

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by fieldfest » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 pm

i was wondering this too, i'm just going to split my luck and plant one in shade, one in sunny spot and one in full sun, maybe in a pot too :lol:

bobbyd44

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by bobbyd44 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 pm

the best spot is probably any where were a large t rex will go hehe

jimhardy

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by jimhardy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I would think for maximum leaf size and east exposure
or dappled sunlight.

Mine grew equally well in full/part sun with enough water.
Last edited by jimhardy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Tom2006 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks Jim, got a few spots that should suit it then.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

Andy Martin

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Andy Martin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:12 am

Tom... I hate to be pedantic but the best spot for a T Rex is a greenhouse judging by the wobbly jelly moulds formed on most of them this Winter. :?

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Dave Brown » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 am

Allow 3m diameter for a single stem full size plant. allow 6m diameter for pupping range, unless a barrier used, and protect well if we have a repeat of last winter. Nothing kills the roots off so if all else turns to mush it will pup again form the roots. My monster one in the front looks like it was killed to ground level, but has 6 pups already, from Mid Feb to now.

The pups only seem to grow in good organically rich soil. I have never had a pup come up in the clay. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Tom2006 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks Dave, good to know they will come back from the roots. I have some nice rich soil (which I have been improving ever since I moved in) so will try it there. I would be lying if I said I had 3m of space but I'm sure other plants will just have to cope :lol:

Is it true the leaves can irritate? Just thinking about my kids thats all, will locate accordingly if it does irritate.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

vivi
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:14 am
Location: Banbury Oxon

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by vivi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:14 am

The leaves can irritate,mine is near the pool and my kids have never had a reaction,but last year a friends daughter did,her body was covered in a rash!!beware!!

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Tom2006 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am

thanks, will make sure its well away from their usual play areas
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

Mr List

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Mr List » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 am

Dave Brown wrote:Allow 3m diameter for a single stem full size plant. allow 6m diameter for pupping range, unless a barrier used, and protect well if we have a repeat of last winter. Nothing kills the roots off so if all else turns to mush it will pup again form the roots. My monster one in the front looks like it was killed to ground level, but has 6 pups already, from Mid Feb to now.

The pups only seem to grow in good organically rich soil. I have never had a pup come up in the clay. :wink:

i still think my overwatered one is stone dead and 3m diameter is both mine and my neighbours garden :lol:

User avatar
eddie
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: The Hague NL Zone 7a

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by eddie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:09 am

Dave Brown wrote:The pups only seem to grow in good organically rich soil. I have never had a pup come up in the clay. :wink:
I've got one thanks to a friendly forum member.... Grows very well inside in a pot.

But...i'm on clay. Would it be good enough when i mix the clay wit a bag of gardensoil from a gardencenter?
:?: drunken_smilie1
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas

User avatar
simon
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Slough, Berkshire

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by simon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

Tom2006 wrote:Is it true the leaves can irritate? Just thinking about my kids thats all, will locate accordingly if it does irritate.
Other than that post from vivi, I have not heard any reports of skin irritations. My experience (and I have heard from others) is that the dusty deposites on the petioles and undersides of leaves can cause a nasty chest irritation if inhaled. If you brush against it while weeding undernieth etc. you will be coughing you guts up for ages. Most unpleasant.

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Tom2006 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks Simon will take care.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

User avatar
Mick C
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Mick C » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 am

simon wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Is it true the leaves can irritate? Just thinking about my kids thats all, will locate accordingly if it does irritate.
Other than that post from vivi, I have not heard any reports of skin irritations. My experience (and I have heard from others) is that the dusty deposites on the petioles and undersides of leaves can cause a nasty chest irritation if inhaled. If you brush against it while weeding undernieth etc. you will be coughing you guts up for ages. Most unpleasant.
Same experience here, working next to my one last year led to some prolonged coughing and chest soreness. The white deposit on the undersides the leaves is nasty stuff.

Post Reply