Thalia dealbata

nige pook

Thalia dealbata

Post by nige pook »

Does anybody know if this can be grown in just very moist conditions or does it actually need to grow in a pond? Nige
Bob

Re: Thalia dealbata

Post by Bob »

nige pook wrote:Does anybody know if this can be grown in just very moist conditions or does it actually need to grow in a pond? Nige
I've had mine growing in the dampest part of the garden for three years now, I'm sure it would do better in a pond, but I get about half a dozen stems up each year.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's fine in the ground and so is lobelia cardinalis. Both grow to around 5 foot for me.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes it probably could be grown in moist soil as long as it doesnt dry out.
I got fed up with it in my pond as it kept blowing over so I now grow it in an old water tank filled with soil and kept wet.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Thankyou muchly guys! Been thinking about this one since last year and only seen it in ponds. May have to aquire some from work then as I saw it growing there last year. Thanks again. Nige
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I've actually grown it a couple of years in ordinary compost in a pot, no special watering regime at all really, just not letting it dry out too much, though I'm sure it would do a lot better with feet in wet soil, it is quite do-able but a bit smaller than 5ft. maybe 4ft. here.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Gets to be quite a large plant in my pond, then I spend all summer removing flower stems. The flowers are a nice blue colour, but trap and kill bees, wasps and other flying insects. It really is a strange way to treat pollenating insects icon_scratch
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by nige pook »

Thankyou to all who answered my request for advice. Think I'm going to give it a go. Brought home four or five decent rhizomes today all shooting and put them in a pot full of very water retentive compost I mixed myself, hope this will suffice. Guess they've got two chances!Nige :)
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:Gets to be quite a large plant in my pond, then I spend all summer removing flower stems. The flowers are a nice blue colour, but trap and kill bees, wasps and other flying insects. It really is a strange way to treat pollinating insects icon_scratch
I was surprised when I found out they were carnivorous. In late summer the flowers on mine are covered with dead and dying wasps.
Libby

Post by Libby »

I have 2 of these, one is left in the pond all year round the other I bring in to heated greenhouse over winter and mine has never flowered :(
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mine have flowered in the first year from buying a 5 litre (probably) sized pot.
Libby

Post by Libby »

mmmm icon_scratch wonder what I'm not doing?
KevJ

Thalia dealbata

Post by KevJ »

My first Thalia, it’s been in this container for a couple of months, the growing medium is Westland aquatic compost and is topped up with water. It gets sun virtually all day and as you can see it has new growth. To me however the new shoots all look very pale, is this the norm for this plant or is something not quite right?
E2F92E08-890F-415D-8032-4B1C769D881A.jpeg
If today was like tomorrow, what happened yesterday? icon_scratch
chainsaw kid

Thalia dealbata

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Kev,

I'm no expert on these but it does look a bit pale What sort of container is it in, I can't quite make it out? Is it in an aquatic pot in a pond or an ordinary square pot out of the water. If the latter has it got holes in. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
charliep

Thalia dealbata

Post by charliep »

I have one in one of the ponds, bought as a lovely big pot full from a plant heritage sales table, it quickly reduced in size and now manages about 4" by the end of summer if I am lucky, I would retrieve it but its too hard to get at without upsetting other stuff. I think a wet pot and protect in winter may well be the best way of seeing it do its thing, keep us posted Kev, interested to hear how it goes
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk