Arundo Donax

harryc

Arundo Donax

Post by harryc »

Is any bodies showing any sign of life yet, just checked mine and although last years culms are fairly firm no sign of any new shoots yet.
Jon Boy

Re: Arundo Donax

Post by Jon Boy »

I've got 2 new shoots on my plain green form, but nothing yet on my variegated form, which is always slower to get going but may not have survived winter this time around.

Jon
simon

Post by simon »

Ditto the variegated form, always seems slower off the mark but I did notice a single shoot on it at the weekend. A couple of shoots on the species too but I haven't removed the mulch yet so there might be more under there. I don't generally mulch them but I was doing some tidying up during a mild spell in January and I cut down and shredded all last years canes. So as not loo leave it completely exposed for the rest of the winter I emptied a bucket of the shreddings over it.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I only have the variegated and a couple of new shoots have popped up this week and some growth from one that was just coming up as winter set in last year. I also left some old canes on from last year just cut them down a bit and these have been side shooting for a while now

But I have been watering with warm water and it has been mild down here
Leigh
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

got growth on both of mine normal and variagated.. doing ok after such a bad winter!!
harryc

Post by harryc »

With a warm forecast here for the near future I might try some warm water on it 8)

Harry
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Both regular green and varietated 'Versicolor' where left out over winter in 5 gallon pots. So far new shoots have been evident on the variegated species.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
April05-11.jpg
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

I've covered my patch of plain green Arundo Donax with a little bubble wrap tent and it seems to be working as several shoots are coming up (2-3 inches tall) now much earlier than last year, but then again, it could be down to milder temps anyway??
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

A neighbour gave me a small piece of the variegated form last November no signs of shoots yet but the culm is still green I have dusted with rooting powder any more tips
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I bought 2 versicolor and a species green last year. No sign on any of them yet, but it is so dry. I've now given them a good watering to see if that does the trick.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jimhardy »

Mine (in the ground)are starting to pop some shoots
a little smaller than the ones in Barrie's picture.
bev

Post by bev »

Veriegata up here, no sign of macrophylla yet!

Cheers

Lee
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

No sign of life on mine yet (its in the ground).
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

I was getting worried about mine, but have been giving it some warm water from a watering can left in the sun for a few days and noticed the first shoot today, It's the plain green form.