Dicksonia antractica growing differently this year ?

Tom2006

Re: Dicksonia antractica growing differently this year ?

Post by Tom2006 »

Great effort with you Dicksonia antarctica and bananas! Strange how its so different for people. Mumfie were your Dicksonia antarctica new last year or have you had them a while?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Bob

Post by Bob »

No uniform flush here either, three are out and I can feel another seven deep inside.
Bob

Post by Bob »

double post, :?
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

i've had them all a while
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Same as normal here, all three with huge flushes starting to unfurl.

I notice some of the pics show several rings of old leaf bases with a small flush in the middle, are these new purchases or are some of you running a saw through the top ?
All of mine have just the single ring of old leaf bases and the rest full of new knuckles.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

adrian i ran a saw through the top of one of mine today that failed to doo anything last year so nothing wasted.. see if anything does happen.. unless this has been tried before i should imagine it has!!
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

One of mine (out of 13) has a crown of green knuckles comming up, the rest have nice lightbrown "kuckle fur" in the top but if i push down theres nothing solid like a knuckle to an inch down, after an inch down its gets harder to push a finger down so to save breaking anything deeper down ive not pushed harder.

Ill be moving five of mine in the next few days if it stays sunny, so i will check the trunk bases for any signs of new growth underground and get pics if there is any! icon_thumleft
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Here's mine. It has shot out a couple of shoots but there are about five knuckles below.

The side shoots on the unfurling frond look very small, do they grow larger once the frond is out fully?

dino

Post by dino »

You won't believe how big they'll get. It's fascinating seeing how they develop.
infernored

Post by infernored »

Mine are growing normally. The ones from seagrave are somewhat more advanced but I suspect they have been confused by the change in climate? (recently imported)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Whilst this topic is quite active thought I would just say it talks of a cold night tonight so may be a good idea for protection on those new fronds. I am forcast a possible frost with clear skies and only 3c. And a lot of other regions are forecast nearly the same excluding the west with rain forecast. Sorry for going off topic now back on topic. :)
billdango

Post by billdango »

mine is okay as far as i can see .i checked today and i can see at least ten nice fat furry croziers just pushing out of the top . due to the cold december i had wrapped mine with an old blanket and it seems perfect . all the top growth had carked it by end december last year and i thought that was it ? but now it looks okay . as a frost is forcast in southampton tonight i have covered it again till morning .
rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

Help my 6foot is going orange guu should i try cutting the top off ?
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Mine is still asleep but alive. Nice brown "knuckle fur" deep down inside and being kept moist. :)
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

What happens each year when you cut off the fronds and the top runs out of space to resprout? (if you know what i mean) for the record mines ALIVE! :lol: