Whats happening to my cordy?

Ste

Whats happening to my cordy?

Post by Ste »

Up until yesterday my cordyline looked perfect, all the sword like leaves were nice and straight and the ones in the centre all pointing straight up. I was having a look yesterday and I noticed that where all the new spears emerge from was leaning one way quite a lot. It was getting a bit dark so couldnt really have a proper look. It was annoying me today at work so I came home for a look. Its hard trying to get up there as access is not great plus its 12ft up, Im hoping this is what it looks like when its going to flower. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. Photo's taken about an hour ago.
Attachments
cordy  1 [111].JPG
cordy  2 [111].JPG
davidjonesUK

Re: Whats happening to my cordy?

Post by davidjonesUK »

they appear to be flowering :D that i know of
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

flowering!!!!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

That's defo a flower spike forming!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Steve,you are going to be a daddy icon_thumright icon_thumright :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Ste

Post by Ste »

Cheers icon_thumleft
Thats a bonus then, I was worrying incase there was something wrong with it as the leaves had gone from being in a nice upright position to leaning one way all in the space of a couple of days. I dont really like the look of cordylines when they flower, think they look much better before but I shouldnt really be complaining because looking at all the cordies round here - there wont be many if any flowering any time soon. Theres hundreds of trunks in peoples gardens with the heads sawn off after this winter.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

did you protect it at all throughout the winter?
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

It normally splits into 2 or more trunks when it flowers, which will improve it's appearance and hardiness by giving it a denser head of foliage. Aso it will have a really strong vanilla fragrance when it's flowering. Can almost be overpowering if you have a few of them.

I had some that flowered every year. Within 5 years they had really good, dense heads of foliage. They need to be planted in the ground to really fatten up.

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Did you loose them Roger ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Ste

Post by Ste »

cordyman wrote:did you protect it at all throughout the winter?
No, I bought it from a GC in February so its always been under cover. Its 12 and a half foot at the minute so not sure how old it would be. It is in a pot aswell. I hope it doesnt grow more heads as I prefer it the way it is, dont like them when they have 2 or 3 heads :( Can the flower be removed? Personally I think they look crappe when they flower, I liked it just the way it was.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

The Codfather wrote:Did you loose them Roger ?

Nah, just sold the house, presume the cordies are still going strong, as I drove past the house today and the one I planted in the front garden is still looking good (& now very tall). This was the house with the superb microclimate of being on the South side of the hill.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Ste wrote: I hope it doesnt grow more heads as I prefer it the way it is, dont like them when they have 2 or 3 heads :( Can the flower be removed? Personally I think they look crappe when they flower, I liked it just the way it was.
.....but this is what's meant to happen :lol: We lost our big one this winter so if you don't want it chuck it over here :lol: :lol: