new member!

Mark

Re: new member!

Post by Mark »

I will miss you by a week or so pete. I have been asked by my Daughters teacher if I would like to go with her class to the LRF and tell the kids about the plants :roll:

As I love it there it would be rude not to go 8)
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

:roll: You were there last month, weren't you :lol: Any reply regarding the Musa 'Red Jamaican'? And remember - the kids don't want to hear about your Aeae, and Musa taxonomy bla bla bla :lol:

Thanks, take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

I would go every month if I could 8)

Nothing from myles yet........I will send a second mail

I will use the kids as Mules for getting plants out of the building :lol: if they get caught I can pretend to give them a B****king out side :roll:

36 screaming brats ( well35 as my little uns an angel :roll: ) running round ...it wont be an easy day.
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

:lol: Are there gonna be teachers around, as well, or just you to attempt to control them?
Mark wrote:36 screaming brats ( well35 as my little uns an angel )
Isn't that always the case :?:
Mark wrote:I will use the kids as Mules for getting plants out of the building if they get caught I can pretend to give them a B****king out side
:lol: Not if I've taken all the plants first :lol:

Take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

There will be two teachers plus me :D I have done several trips with her class and the kids are pretty well behaved.

I am not sure if the law allows you to hit other peoples kids or not :D
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Ahh good, so you have others to help you control the rabble. After all, you need to make sure that they don't start 'deforestationing (sp)' the place :lol: Thanks God I'll be going before you... :lol:

Pete
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

tropical-pete wrote:Ahh good, so you have others to help you control the rabble. After all, you need to make sure that they don't start 'deforestationing (sp)' the place :lol: Thanks God I'll be going before you... :lol:
Actually Pete Mark will be given them lessons on seed collection before they go.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Hi Vivi and welcome to HTUK :D

I fell for that "hardy" B&Q Bismarckia nobilis too and paid £40 for it, fortunately I realized quickly it's a no go and got a refund for it 8)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks MarkD.If only I knew about this site sooner,I could have done the same!Will just have to find something else to fill it's place.......wonder what I can try next??
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

ChrisG wrote:Actually Pete Mark will be given them lessons on seed collection before they go.
:lol: :lol: And how they shouldn't collect seed from the rainforest as it's a precious environment (unless it's nana, ginger, canna, aroid, heliconia and all other tropical plant seed :lol: ) :roll: :roll:

Take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

Trouble is not many of them are over 4ft :lol: They can't reach the good stuff :lol:

As long as none of them try to nick the spiders :ahhh!:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

vivi wrote:Thanks MarkD.If only I knew about this site sooner,I could have done the same!Will just have to find something else to fill it's place.......wonder what I can try next??
Hi Viv,
If you like the silvery look, maybe a Brahea Armata would do the trick?
Dave has some pictures and info here.

Palm centre had some nice ones not long back, there wasnt much difference in the sizes, so the marginally smaller ones were a lot cheaper that the slightly bigger ones. :)
gaz
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hi Gaz A Brahea is near the top of my 'wish list' of replacements,have checked out the link...thanks for that.You are right about the smaller ones being a lot cheaper,but being a typical female I can't wait for one to grow,I want one now!!! may have to wait for my birthday for one . :roll:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi Viv,

In terms of size the larger small ones at PC were similar to the normal sized larger ones, so until they repot- or put the prices up the slightly smaller ones were a really good price.

It might be worth checking out Nigels site too, he has them (http://www.hardypalms.co.uk), although by the sounds of it your probably after something bigger.

What else is on your wish list?

Gaz