Agave americana "Medio Picta" ...

mixiepalms

Agave americana "Medio Picta" ...

Post by mixiepalms »

Hi Guys

I got this from b n q for £7.49. After doing some research it turns out to be an Agave americana "Medio Picta". So am quite chuffed. All the other ones were the yellow green variagtion and this one stood out. Plus it was the biggest.

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

That was a very nice find indeed,they're normally quite hard to find.Not to mention pricey.
By all accounts they're not as hardy as either Americana or marginata,but definately worth the effort of protecting come winter.Theres also another form of Mediopicta thats got a yellow stripe in the middle of the leaf.If I get a chance I'll take a pic of it as its quite nice too.
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice one Mixie,

This is where you can pick up a bargain with the plant suppliers policy of "Assorted" plants, as you pay the same price for rarer plants. 8)

Didn't take you long to plant it out :wink:

I'm going to have to cut back on plant aquisitions, as i really am running out of space this year, and the lawn is sacred. :roll: I am considering cutting back some of the larger shrubs to allow more space. Things like Mexican Orange Blossom, which has taken over a whole border with more rain, or should I say, some rain this summer. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

Dave I always plant out as soon is possible lol. It is in a largish pot so will be able to keep in greenhouse over winter, talking of greenhouses, b n q have a nice green greenhouse with perspex and base for £140, Wife says she wants so who am I to argue, Mine is all glass and with kids etc running round will be safer, also the door runners have siezed up. So all in all a good buy me-thinks.
Last edited by mixiepalms on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

I ran out of room lol ages ago, now the poor kids have to watch where they play, is an ongoing erm "debate" between me and her indoors. Hence why she is now into fuschias again, they are taking up more room than my plants lol, still they look good together I must admit.

Bargain year cos of weather, Gina got some nice standard fuschias at a real minimal cost.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Well after your post about bargains to be had, I shot off to B & Q and they had

nothing :cry: :cry:

zilch :cry: :cry:

my credit card gave a sigh of relief!!!! lol!!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I popped into the Gravesend Branch of B&Q, No Agaves at all, lots of Trachycarpus, Chammy, Washingtonia and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. Few big Dicksonia antarctica Tree ferns, and 2 x Yucca Rostrata down to £98. :wink: Did pick up an Olive down from £12.98 to £9.67. and also 2 x 125 litre B&Q Mp compost for £10 but with the discount came to £3.73 each which is not bad. 8)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vic »

Nice one mixie, that really is a good purchase. It is a medio picta "var alba" as it has the white stripe as opposed to yellow, i think you have the nicer one IMO.

I was given a pup at the EPS get together recently but its still a few years behind yours. They are supposed to he ahrdy to around -5 or -6c if kept dry although i'd definately wait untill yours is bigger before trying it out, wouyld be a shame to loose it.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Allo Vic

Long time no speak mate. Ty for ya words, I am gonna not plant it out yet as such, will leave in green house for a while. Ie 2 - 3 years.

jus 2 pics from today

this is the pond, its got 4 goldfish in it, next week will have some strange exotic creatures in it, will indulge next week lol. taking exotic gardening to another level, lets just say will be on a par with my crickets, which are chirping just perfectly.

Vic

Post by Vic »

all looking good matey, nice drop of rain and some good sun of late has worked wonders :lol:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

almost ideal tropical weather lol.

humidity seems to make all the difference.

hows your garden doing?
Don

Post by Don »

Dave Brown wrote: I'm going to have to cut back on plant aquisitions, as i really am running out of space this year. :roll:
A few hours later:-
Dave Brown wrote:Did pick up an Olive down from £12.98 to £9.67
:lol: :lol:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Lol Don,

Mind you I am the same, no more plants for a while then see a bargain and just have to have my fix!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: I'm going to have to cut back on plant aquisitions, as i really am running out of space this year. :roll:
A few hours later:-
Dave Brown wrote:Did pick up an Olive down from £12.98 to £9.67
:lol: :lol:
I did buy a shoe horn at the same time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Mixie............. Piranhas??? lol!!!
loved the tropical planting by the way!!