mushy tree ferns

becky

mushy tree ferns

Post by becky »

hi everyone, after this terrible winter we have been left with at least 3 mushy tree ferns , i was just after a little advice, i was told at akamba the other day to put peroxide into the spear pull on palms, and they will grow back, i just wondered if anyone has tried it with a mushy tree fern ? could there be a possibility that just the top knuckles have just been damaged ?
i was thinking of trying it :? but if it don't work we have some small tree ferns we were going to plant in the stem , but would the peroxide damage the baby tree ferns if planted at a later date ?
also is the peroxide just hair peroxide ?

any help much appreciated :D

cheers becky
kevineden

Re: mushy tree ferns

Post by kevineden »

ive tried it 3 weeks ago on my 6 footer which was oozing goo i might flush it again next week i watered it down to about 2% nothing to lose but all to gain its hydrogen peroxide h202 food grade i got mine off ebay 4 weeks ago this was new to me
becky

Post by becky »

thanks thats what i thought, but were do i buy it from ? :D
becky

Post by becky »

sorry i only got half your post then, lol il have a look on ebay now
icon_thumleft
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

ebay
seller direct chemicals i think it was called
becky

Post by becky »

thankyou kevin
how much diod you buy and how much did you use to flush it , sorry to be a pain :?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Hi Becky. I have lost six of my seven tree ferns this winter of various sizes. On two of my larger ones that didn't have the mush and goo quite as badly I tried a peroxide treatment as their last chance and had no joy at all. I know others have tried with equal results. Once the mush appears they are gone I'm afraid. You could try slicing the top inch or so off the top to see whats underneath. I did this with one of mine that had no goo but also no new knuckles, the result, sadly was equally as dead at the others! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good luck, you never know a miracle might just happen, I sincerely hope it does, too many of these great plants have died over these last two winters.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Becky, (and all)

You can get it from "Superdrug" at the pharmacy counter, I got some from there several weeks ago and then restocked and got some more yesterday. Also they sell it in 3%, 6%, and 9% strength.
They may ask what you are using it for just to check for safety reasons.
Mine was 79 pence for a 200ml bottle.

You'd be very surprised what else you can use it for. I also use it as a very good mouthwash but be very careful about dilution strength there or it'll burn, (same for plants too) AND don't leave it anywhere that kids can get it.

Hope I haven't inadvertently started a stampede down to Superdrug!
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I don't think peroxide does much good for tree ferns Becky because it flows away too quickly - there's nothing to contain it. With palms it sits in the hole where the spear used to be, once you've pulled it out, and dissolves away the rotten tissue.

I've tried it on a tree fern and it did fizz a bit but I don't think it was at all effective.
Sorry :(
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

cut into 2 of mine at the weekend gone........as advised and they were brown bread.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

sadly from my experience this winter and from reading as much as I can from those who have suffering the mush and goo this winter and previously, once its arrived, the tree fern is lost.

I cut into my 5 footer, only about 4-5cm and I was down to the crown already, I was amazed at just how high up the crown is on these plants!
becky

Post by becky »

so shall i just scoop out the goo, and re plant my new tree ferns ? thankyou everyone for all your advice icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No harm in trying, but looking at my dead ones (I've done some surgery to see what goes on inside) the crown runs through the trunk like a spine and that continues to produce goo no matter how deep you go.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

No harm in trying though Becky, I would not give up until you have to. My 3 footer did not manage a single new frond until about July last year.

Got to say I've never seen any of the orange gunk though - and this year the 3 fter is worse than before.

I really hope you have some success, I remember the pics of the fantastic transformation of your garden, and all the hard work that you put into it.
becky

Post by becky »

il give all the ones that are not mushy this year, to try and recover im gonna dig the mushy ones out and place the small tree ferns in , iv heared this works ok :)