what variety of Washingtonia should i be able to grow?

palm lad

what variety of Washingtonia should i be able to grow?

Post by palm lad »

i was wondering, if any, what variety of Washingtonia palm could i grow successfully where i live, with being willing to give plenty of protection from the cold too? im in north east england right on the coast, north yorkshire basically. thanks :)
Darlo Mark

Re: what variety of Washingtonia should i be able to grow?

Post by Darlo Mark »

Good Avatar! Up the Boro.

Sorry the answer to your question is none! :(

I'd say Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are right on your limit with good protection and no return of the last 3 winters!

I know you are right on the sea but Washingtonia are not really long term prospects up here, I'd love for you to prove me wrong of course!
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Forgot to say Dave B has written loads on this palm , I'd search the forum. I'm sure you have seen pics of his palm.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

You'll be fine with any washy in a big tub that can be brought under cover in winter. I've had one outside (in the garage the winter gone) for four years.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

I was talking about planting it out. Obviously if you can bring it under cover that's different.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I thought Washys were hardier than CIDPs?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I thought Washys were hardier than CIDPs?
No, other way around
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well, if you are going to try, W robusta is our best prospect, as W filifera requires a dry atmosphere. My Washingtonia was subjected to -10C and 6 ice days in December. It was covered with a parasol and had rope lights which were switched on if the temp dropped below zero.

Pics are HERE
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Darlo Mark »

Just bear in mind Karl, that Daves's palm is very well established and much much bigger than anything you would buy in the uk. We'd need a run of mild winters I think to give you a chance. If you have a conservatory I'd overwinter in there and then when it's a lot bigger you might want to risk it. They are beautiful palms and a lot faster than other palms. I'm not saying don't give it a go but don't set your heart on having a mature robusta in the garden!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Even in milder parts of the UK Washingtonia can be severely damaged or killed in a cold winter. Mine suffered some 'cosmetic' damage after the last couple of winters, which it has normally grown out by the end of summer, but I doubt that they would get enough warmth in areas "up north" to replace any damage leaves & that is if you even manage to get them through the winter without being killed...
Vic

Post by Vic »

Palmlad, if you are prepared to protect it then why not. I would avoid filifera personally unless you buy a large speciemen with at least 3ft trunk, this size seem to be less susceptable to rot and its ability to recover from it.

So try robusta, build a shelter (this can be completely covered in extreme cold conditions) and use ropelights to protect the trunk. In very cold winters you will loose the leaves but it will recover quickly. Its alot of effort, but a must if you want to keep one i'm afraid.