ginger and cannas

Panama Pete

ginger and cannas

Post by Panama Pete »

Got 2 canna popping through from rihzomes. Are some delayed? and no sign of the ginger? would this be rotted>?
Scott Radford

Re: ginger and cannas

Post by Scott Radford »

Hi Pete

I don't have ginger but have cannas

where the cannas are concerned I've given up on those that have not appeared by now, as all the ones that are growing have shown signs of life for a while now before leafing up. I removed some rhizomes from the pots and they are as lifeless as when they went in them some near three months ago - so they most certainly for me are dead
kata

Post by kata »

I also tried Ginger but no sign.....yet.

Time yet they will be making roots.

icon_cheers
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I spent about £25 on rizomes, but only two signs of life. Ill wait a bit longer, bu were nearly into June :x
grub

Post by grub »

All of my Gingers are out of the ground already Pete even though left totally unprotected.
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Our Hedychium Greenii (still in pot) that was put in the cold greenhouse is now chucking up 3 or 4 shoots .... has been outside now for 4 or 5 weeks .....

Our Canna are also poking out, some onto their 2nd or 3rd leaves .... they were planted out but had a mulch and up-turned bucket for the winter period ... but very surprised at the growth, must be attributed to the unseasonal temps .....

Our other ginger which we planted out (not sure on the name, it was very puuurdy so we bought it !) has yet to make an appearance .... but we'll see .... one thing is for sure, this year seems to be quite odd in terms of plants making an appearance .....
Vic

Post by Vic »

Gingers are up here also begonia and dahlias which suprised me after the winter cold. I wouldn't be suprised if a great number of bulbs and rhizomes are rotted after the winter we just had.
kata

Post by kata »

I have seen little red pinprick signs of life for weeks which made themselves known when it was hot spring, Nothing since in growth from the Begonias.

I planted a new 'Bishop of Llandaff' ... I came accross it in a sale at Homebase for £1.50. I also bought a yellow Dahlia, and some more red Crocosmia...all for £1.50 each pack.

We need sun like we had in spring to get things moving.

:( :(
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

my ginges are just poking through now been out not protected