find a plant for this situation

Nigel Fear

Re: find a plant for this situation

Post by Nigel Fear »

Pineapple broom [is it still called cytisus battandieri?] might be a good choice, you could trim off any lower branches that get in the way of the gate, and it would grow reasonably quick vertically. 8)
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

do they only come in yellow though?

i have been streering clear of plain yellow flowers so it would look out of place.
AlanWMids

Post by AlanWMids »

You'd need quite a big pot to get a plant of the proportions you want. Can you lift a paving slab and plant straight in to the ground?

Alternatively, you could put taller plants in the borders within your plot to add height and screen the houses behind you. Ultimtately, if you could create a series of different partial views to planting behind and through to your gate this would give the illusion of size, depth and mystery. That means also using taller growing plants closer to your own house.

If you do plant behind your fence, avoid doing it directly behind your gate as this really should be your mystery entrance.

Alan
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i dont get what you mean. icon_scratch
passiflora

Post by passiflora »

:) have you thought about a fig tree?. they have shapped lobbed leaves and can be trained into shape, they also like restricted roots.

Anything that is in a pot needs winter protection however, it is just not the same as being in the ground. :D
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

had a brown turkey since autumn last year was in a pot all winter outside and is 100% fine.

so no, don't want another fig.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Portuguese Laural trimmed into the tree shape you require.

Tough as old boots, cheap to buy.

http://www.architecturalplants.com/px/v ... --0959.jpg

http://www.paramountplants.co.uk/images ... a-tree.jpg

Even nicer is this. I've got one and it's stunning.

Daphniphyllum macropodum

http://www.architecturalplants.com/pix/ ... urst-3.jpg
AlanWMids

Post by AlanWMids »

Mr List wrote:i dont get what you mean. icon_scratch
Apologies. It's a garden design tip rather than a specific plant recommendation. I made the assumption that you want some planting to line/screen the back of your garden, the houses behind in particular.

In my view, you should use your gate as a feature to unlimately lead your garden visitor to. The best way to do this is to ensure that it is not obviously in view from your house straight away. This effect could be acheived by using taller plants closer to your own house to create a series of 'surprise' views as you take a journey towards the back of the garden.

If you were to plant a row of tall plants along your rear border (and behind that gate) it would have the effect of bringing the rear of your garden closer to the house, making your garden seem smaller than it is.

Does that make sense?

Alan
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

yes but behind the gate is concrete topped with wheelie bins :lol:
AlanWMids

Post by AlanWMids »

Mr List wrote:yes but behind the gate is concrete topped with wheelie bins :lol:
However, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a stem/trunk directly behind the gate. If you look at your drawing it doesn't really look right. If you really want to have plants behind your fence can you offset them by moving where your bins go?

Alan
AlanWMids

Post by AlanWMids »

MikeC wrote: Even nicer is this. I've got one and it's stunning.

Daphniphyllum macropodum

I've been hankering for one of these myself and that photo has just made it worse.

Any damage to it in the North East this Winter gone?

Alan
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

If you're set on having a tree in such a small container I think your choice is going to be pretty restrictive. The suggestion of a fig is the best for those conditions - there are lots of other leaf forms which are very different from 'Brown Turkey' - look up the one called 'Ice Crystal' it's nice and exotic looking.
The only other one I can think of that might take those conditions is an Olive.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

AlanWMids wrote:
MikeC wrote: Even nicer is this. I've got one and it's stunning.

Daphniphyllum macropodum

I've been hankering for one of these myself and that photo has just made it worse.

Any damage to it in the North East this Winter gone?

Alan
I bought it after the cold weather ended, so no idea how tough it is. It's growing in a big pot, and looks superb.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Another great evergreen tree in a pot is Magnolia Grandiflora.

I've got an magnolia grandiflora ferruginea.

Looks a bit like a rubber plant, only tough as nails.

Really shiny big dark green leaves.

icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i really wanted an evergreen magnolia grandiflora at one time,
i'd completely for got about them.

i wonder how you can best make something like that happy in a pot.