Paulownia tomentosa culture

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Paulownia tomentosa culture

Post by Dave Brown »

I've had Paulownia tomentosa for quite a few years now, and found to get the largest leaves it needs to be treated in a certain way.

In Autumn I cut the stems back to within 6 inches of the base. Then in spring when new growth appreas I snap off all except one shoot. The tree than puts all its energy into that one remaining shoot. Then apply liberal amounts of water and feed, and 2 foot diameter leaves are the result.
Attachments
250507 Paulownia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Oh Wow!!

or maybe not :?

I have 4 of these planted in my diddy jungle bed

heres a pic of 2 of them!!!

now I only got them this year so they are still babies, should I be doing anything to them currently? will they survive the winter?

The good news is I showed hubby a pic of someones huge one over on ukoasis and he thought it was fantastic, until I told him I had four planted!!

I got my tropical garden at the bottom.....

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are hardy, but deciduous. just keep them watered and fed while growing. You can either leave the stalks over winter and let it grow as a tree and leaves grow to about 10 inches, or cut it back as I said above. Next year it will get to around 10 feet with a single stem, somewhat shorter with multi stems. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Don »

I was told by one of the suppliers of Paulownia to let it get established for a season before coppicing. I ignored the advice on one small tree and it died :cry:
Libby- you have more than enough to experiment with :wink:
I suppose you will be telling us soon that you have planted a few dozen T. Rex :lol:
Libby

Post by Libby »

:lol:
I've still to get one. Have to sort out a trip to Daves! as Steve has one in waiting for me!!!!
I only ended up with four because I bought one and was given the rest! Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!!!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I grew mine from seed, and Don is probably right about not cutting back before it's first winter. I can't remember if I did or not now. Ideally they prefer a sheltered place particularly if you go for big leaves. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I planted one last year,in which time it didn't do a great deal.This year its shot up and out at a rapid rate.Can't decide whether to cut it back next spring or to let it grow as its rapidly gaining height and spread.
Still I've got a while to decide.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It depends on how much space you have Steve, 1 stem will produce bigger leaves and grow 10 to 14 feet depending on conditions. Left as a tree it will grow a few branching stems with leaves around 1 ft dia, but may top 25 feet in 3 years. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Sounds like a good bet to block out nextdoor then :D
And an excuse to buy a few more shade loving plants to boot 8)
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is one of the Paulownia that I did not cut back to one stem last autumn. It seems to appreciate the wetter summer we have had.
Attachments
090807 Paulownia Tree.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Paulownia tomentosa culture

Post by Neil »

Morning guys, my Paulownia Tomentosa is now sending out a number of shoots, I was going to leave a couple on to get the big leaves but what do I do with the rest? Some say rub and some say snap, does it make any difference, and is this the right time to do it? Thanks, neil. :D
bodster

Post by bodster »

Have you got room to let it get big and flower Neil?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Martin, I don't think I have ever seen a Paulonia in flower have you got any pics?

Here was the monster leaved one from last summer they reached 80cm (over 2 feet) in diameter. The first shoots have appeared this week on mine. :wink:

Neil, I snap them off because I don't see them until a few inches long, but snap at the base of the shoot . I think rubbing works when they are tiny. :wink:
Attachments
020808 Pics 023.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GARYnNAT »

pics from mine in flower :D
garden april 09 014.jpg
garden april 09 015.jpg
Gary
bodster

Post by bodster »

Nice Gary. Do you have one to take with you? Heres a pic one of mine last year Dave. i only had a phone cam at the time. I'll take a better pic in a couple of weeks when its in full flower again. They're very impressive flowering trees. Its such a schame most people only coppice them
Attachments
paulownia2.jpg