Trachycarpus Fortunei winter 2010 damaged

kracker

Trachycarpus Fortunei winter 2010 damaged

Post by kracker »

New to the forum so be gentle .last year i purchased a 3ft Trachycarpus Fortunei ( trunk) on the basis i live in the tropical north east of England and last years winter destroyed my cordyline crop then it happened again this year what was left some really good specimens pity .anyways my Trachycarpus Fortunei has chronic brown limp leaves all the leaves even the new leaves are 50% brown dried up so the question is given the dry weather is it under watering or over watering or does it need feeding it's hard to know because there is plum slate all over the garden i did read somewhere they can look after them selves that's why i have not faffed on with it but it does look sorry any suggestion would be grateful..cheers will
kata

Re: Trachycarpus Fortunei

Post by kata »

Apart from the couple of weeks in march its been rubbish for weather,

The last few days with the strong winds never helped either, have you watered it, fed it? Give it time yet.

I know they do get brown leaves, as long as they don't pull it could rally.

I know Nigel's product is for palms but could just give it that 'kick start' it needs if its for TC.. Just give the palm some time to recover winter.

http://www.palmbooster.com/

Good luck and welcome to the forum kracker!
dino

Post by dino »

The winter will have done the damage but by now it should have a new growing spear in the centre. If this is green it should recover Ok. If leaves are completely brown you might as well cut off as they're not doing anything to help growth and will look naff. with the recent hot spell watering won't hurt but make sure it gets to the roots as slate can make it bounce off and away.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

its a good sign if its pushing up new leaves, even if they are brown. Give it some good feeds this summer and don't let it dry out and hopefully IF can have an average to mild winter it should start to recover. I lost three of my four trachies this winter :(
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kracker

Post by kracker »

Thanks kata i did'nt even know there was such a thing i have now orded the palmbooster can this be used for cordys thanks will
kata

Post by kata »

My pleasure Kracker,

Keep us posted how the Trachi goes on over summer. I need to buy another Trachi but flowers come top of my list just now....lmaoooooooooo
kracker

Post by kracker »

Update on Trachycarpus i have been feeding it phostrogen after reading about nitrogen based feeds and it has romped away it's looking really great so im gonna baby sit this winter thanks for the tips guys ..will icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Trachycarpus Fortunei winter 2010 damaged

Post by Dave Brown »

Glad to hear it has recovered kracker icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Darlo Mark »

where would we be without our trachys? Good to hear about the recovery, I had one similiar that has recovered and romped away with the wet summer and last year's mild winter.
kracker

Post by kracker »

Lets all hope for a mild winter then , or i would rather have a hard winter and good summer icon_sunny icon_sunny who knows fingers crossed icon_thumleft
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Good news then! icon_thumleft Have you got any pics to show us?

Ness
kracker

Post by kracker »

Was down to 3 leaves at the start of the year
Attachments
phpPZpXWvAM.jpg
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Well done Kracker icon_salut icon_salut It looks super healthy now! icon_thumleft

Ness