Meet the Alocasias - Let's compare

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Meet the Alocasias - Let's compare

Post by Dave Brown »

We all seem to have one Alocasia or another, but identifying them is not easy and they get mis-sold all the time. These are my Alocasias which are now growing better once I found they don't like the same conditions as Colocasia.

Alocasia macrorrhiza bought as a rhizome cutting from Easy Tropicals in May. It has grown it's first full leaf.

Alocasia macrorrhiza 'Borneo Giant' Swapped on UKO was about 2 inches tall when I got it so has grown quite a bit, although still quite small.

Alocasia calidora. From Easy Tropicals.This is a pup from my large plant from last year, unfortunately I sun burnt that in May and it is taking a time to recover. The pup is now doing well.

Finally, Alocasia odora, from Easy Tropicals, this plant is in its 4th year but I did not treat it right, more like a Colocasia and it did not like it. Now growing in the correct compost, and putting on some size.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by alan »

Here is my calidora from easy tropicals earlier this year seems to be doing ok
another purchase from easy tropicals this year alocasia odora
cant help but notice Dave your alocasias look a lot healthier green and more shiny than mine whats the secret
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

alan wrote:cant help but notice Dave your alocasias look a lot healthier green and more shiny than mine whats the secret
Think it might be that yellow thing in the sky that causes the shadows, you know, that thing you had last year :lol:

Another thing, your odora is not the same as my odora. The lobes are flat on yours, on mine the lobes are cupped and retain water. Unless yours has learned to shed as much rain as possible :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Hi everyone,
Meant to post this earlier on in the week,but just been too busy to do it.
Heres a pic of my best Portora,busily growing away its got quite a few small pups on it aswell :D

Heres one of the others,which I'm going to have to move as its getting slowly squeezed out by a huge clump of eucomis,and theres at least 2 Rex pups in the same vicinity :evil:
I couldn't fight my way through to my Calidora,its like a jungle down the bottom of my garden :lol:
Although I can say its not grown much just flowers,at the minute its got 2.
The Maccrorizzos is growing well but ideally could do with a bit of shade,and its about to flower.
What are the chances of getting a Macc/calidora hybrid?

The Jungleseeds ALocasia :?: are growing very nicely in my greenhouse,even pupping :D
Although some of the leaves are still pointing down :?

I also bouht a Calidora and an Odora from easytropicals a few weeks ago which are going great

One of these has even got tiny pups :D
I'm pretty sure that covers all of them.Can't wait to see how big the Portoras'll get this year.
steve
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Portora looks even bigger today,haven't measured it but would guess at 2-3 ft :D