STRELITZIA

Gareth Davies

Re: STRELITZIA

Post by Gareth Davies »

The Codfather wrote:Wow.....does your workshop get much light in winter and what does it drop too ?
It gets enough light as it has a number of clear roofing sheets. Temperature wise, I wouldn't know but all my tender plants get rounded up and put on large trollies so I can move them around as required. We have big gas space heaters on in the daytime and the buildings are well insulated so heat loss is minimal. They get very little water so there is next to no chance of frost damage. Put it this way, I've kept my Colocasias going for the past two winters and various bananas doing this so it obviously works.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

are....I remember it now....the canibis farm :lol:

Mmmm, my issue is there is very little light in the garage...1 window, so it would have to go in the house.....which is great till it gets huge.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Gareth Davies

Post by Gareth Davies »

The Codfather wrote:are....I remember it now....the canibis farm :lol:

Mmmm, my issue is there is very little light in the garage...1 window, so it would have to go in the house.....which is great till it gets huge.
No, the bit people thought was the cannabis farm is a seperate room within the workshop, the plant trollies are outside of this in the main part :DD. If you are going to let the plants have light it's got to be natural or very good artificial otherwise you'll end up with a load of weak spindly duffers. My truck has a 5 metre bed so I can give the Strelitzia a winter holiday until it exceeds 5 metres or I can no longer lift it. It's daft what we do for our plants really.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've ruined my nicolai for now. It's spent it's whole life in the conservatory, but last year decided I didn't want it in there any more as I needed the space for other things. Anyway, I put it outside for the Summer in a shady spot, the leaves still got damaged and I ended up cutting them off. I'm now left with two leaves and one emerging from two sprouts. I find these ever so slow to grow. I'm hoping eventually I'll get a nice looking specimen like the pictures shown on here. I want it to be a toughie :lol:

I lost all juncea that were in the greenhouse over Winter, they were just becoming nice little plants and looking more like a juncea should :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

My new Bird of Paradise has took a right beating,

I put it outside and it got burnt.

:lol: :lol:
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

kata wrote:My new Bird of Paradise has took a right beating,

I put it outside and it got burnt.

:lol: :lol:
My Alba's not looking too clever either, I'm for sure going to find a better more sheltered spot for it next year, thouh at some six feet plus tall that's a difficulty maybe icon_scratch
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Just won this......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Steph

Post by Steph »

For small plants, little more than seedlings, in the past I have had good deals from Jan Methorst at his www.minorgarden.com site.
I still have a couple of nicolai on my kitchen windowsill about a foot high from him.
Not sure what he is flogging at the moment though.
kata

Post by kata »

Steph, thanks!

good luck to you DiCass...what are we like about our plants?

Good luck coddy, it looks nice.

Well Scott, I could squeese the Alba somewhere. :lol: :lol: :lol:
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

We picked up a Strelitzia augusta alba last year at about 7 foot for £40. Overwintered in the conservatory. It's got one additional small shoot just pushing out a 3rd leaf about a metre tall and 3 more shoots developed over winter now all around a few inches long a growing nicely. The paddle shaped leaves are about 1m long and each one is bigger than the last. I can't wait for it to flower.

Mike.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Kata, you too :lol: I think it was Homebase that had some nice big Strellies in their store last year, about £30 I think, so shall look out for when these come in.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

None at mine this week (tuesday)

She was talking to me about hardy Gerberas, so I asked her how hardy, she replied.............what do you mean hardy.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do these people take their Hoticultural training?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

o/t sorry.

You ought to have asked how hardy the Laurel was :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could'nt believe my ears...lmaoooooooooooo
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Here were two Strelitzia flowering at Kew today here's the pictures of the flowers showing the difference icon_thumright
Attachments
Strelitzia reginae
Strelitzia reginae
Strelitzia Mandela's Gold
Strelitzia Mandela's Gold