STRELITZIA

Libby

Re: STRELITZIA

Post by Libby »

This thread has been really interesting I wish I found it earlier, I have some questions..

I have 3, a Mandela Gold anicoli and a regina I have had them a couple of years and they are still not growing huge, but have tons of roots, so whats the best course of action?

Do you feed all year round if so what and how often?

Is it best to water really well and let them drain?

Please help me get these things growing,they currently overwinter in the house.
I love the leaves so am not to fussed if they flower, if they do it would be a big bonus
Thanks in anticipation x
pdid

Post by pdid »

They are pretty tough plants Libby, It could be said that I have almost neglected mine at times. They do like to be tight in their pots so will probably produce more top growth when this happens.

They grow in hot regions so I water when they start looking dry, stand it on a drip tray and water till some comes through the bottom of the pot, the leaves will start to curl if you leave it too long. Feed with something like miracle grow during summer and a dose of epsom salts a once or twice a year especially if it`s been in the same compost for a few years.
Libby

Post by Libby »

thank you pdid. I always laugh when I see Epsom Salts, my Grandpa swore by them, I'm not sure what for, but he loved them :lol:
I think I shall repot them all this year and maybe do a bit of root pruning, its about time they grew abit. Will keep you posted
pdid

Post by pdid »

Libby wrote:thank you pdid. I always laugh when I see Epsom Salts, my Grandpa swore by them, I'm not sure what for, but he loved them :lol:
Ha, they replenish nutrients in the soil and green up the leaves of the plants. Some of the leaves on mine were yellowing, since the epsom salts they have greened up and the new growth is also a lovely dark green.
kata

Post by kata »

I bought some but never used it,

How much and how often pdid?

Is it useful for flowers as well as palm?

Thanks!

icon_cheers
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

From memory 20g / Litre. Epsom Salts usually cheaper at Garden Centre than Pharmacy, but you may only need a small amount.

Generally it helps plants to take up Magnesium, the absence of which can make the leaves yellow (is it called "chlorotic" or somesuch?), and thus can make the leaves look greener after application - particularly if they were sowing signs of yellowing :)

You can apply as a spray, but I've only ever done that for Tomatoes so don't know if it will mark / upset the leaves of Exotics.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Thread here Kata.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... psom+salts

Teaspoon a gallon so 20g a litre may be a little too much!

As for it`s effect on flowers, I have absolutley no idea, sorry!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

That link says "1 T. in a gallon" - if "T" is Tablespoon, rather than Teaspoon, that would be about 20g / Litre I reckon?

But don't rely on my memory of the amount please.
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

I grew some strelitzia reginae from seed last summer just in regular seed compost on the windowsill. They are now 3 inches tall.

I now have some strelitzia augusta alba seed to try that i brought back from Lanzarote. Does anyone have any experience of growing this variety from seed? Is it as straight forward as the reginae or does it need any thing special eg specific temps, compost mixture?

Post by The Codfather »

I am obvioulsy doing somhing wrong with mine..... icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
pdid

Post by pdid »

Kristen wrote:That link says "1 T. in a gallon" - if "T" is Tablespoon, rather than Teaspoon, that would be about 20g / Litre I reckon?

But don't rely on my memory of the amount please.
Good point, so somewhere between a tea and a tablespoon per gallon icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

I understand that,

Thanks Kristen and Pdid !!

Coddy, I never grew from seed I got my son to bring me one back from Tenerife last year. Year before when I bought from same place I killed it... :lol: :lol:

The one my son brought me flourished before I put it out.

They scorch in hot sun and look a mess. I kept mine dry to damp. Moved it from the window sill when the sun was out, then moved it back when the sun moved...this worked.

It loved it. I need to see how it is after -1C last night...I hope its ok.

:(
Gareth in Leeds

Post by Gareth in Leeds »

Just adding my experiences of growing Strelitzias over the last 25 years! The one in the pictures was grown from a seed when I was a kid, and it's been everywhere with me since. It always flowers in winter, sometimes it just manages to squeeze a flower out for Christmas day, but usually flowers from January through to March...

Gareth in Leeds

Post by Gareth in Leeds »

Sorry, cat got in the way that time. I'll try again:

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Wow, I want mine to look like that when it grows up :lol: , what a beauty and the cats cute too