anyone had any luck at B&Q

placidcasual

anyone had any luck at B&Q

Post by placidcasual »

Many times I've seen a distressed Bamboo or CIPD and would buy it at a discount but there full price still. I did ask about a knackered Aurea bamboo last week the bloke said no chance!!

anyone managed a negotiated deal!
also what branches are always discounting !! I travel a lot!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: anyone had any luck at B&Q

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I had 2 big P. Aurea a little while back, should have been £70 the pair and had them for a fiver each.
Our local "Range" have already started discounting a variety of plants inc washies by 25%
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wilko seems the best for cutting prices.

I used to manage a Do It All (remember them?) years ago, if you spot anything looking tatty don't ask any of the assistants as they will always put you off because they are the ones who are responsible for letting the plants get that way. Go to the information desk and ask if they have a GC dept manager. If not then ask to speak to one of the managers, they'll be happy to discount tatty plants rather than skip a dead one at a later date.
Essexman

Post by Essexman »

I keep flirting with the Octogenarian staff but so far nothing to report. :(
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

They have a 3 for 2 on plants offer this weekend. I got an Agave Americana, a nice variegated Americana and a Fatsia Japonica. The Fatsia was cheapest, so I saved about £6 I think.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Anyone ever had any luck finding someone at b&q who knows something about plants or what a hose and water looks like? :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

no...my local B & Q's are terrible for deals.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I usually wait until late autumn. I got a large Musa basjoo from there a few years ago for £10 reduced from £50. I got a nice Chamaerops last autumn, probably 5 or 6 years of growth for £6.98.
placidcasual

Post by placidcasual »

thanks for the advice good call regarding the garden centre manager the assistants are a nightmare!
dino

Post by dino »

B&Q are terrible compared to Homebase by us. They just don't seem to care and stuff just gets neglected. Homebase's stuff always looks good and does get discounted. That's in Solihull by the way.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

there are 3 b and q within say 10 miles of here.only one of them seems to have staff that care,this being the hartcliffe branch. the rest are like the rest and discount when dead
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

They all seem to discount when dead. My biggest gripe is that all the DIY sheds fall into the trap of offering plants that are the same regardless of where they are placed geographically. What is okay for Falmouth or Southampton may not even survive in the far north of Scotland. I have seen many a trembling Trachycarpus, withering washie, and chilled cordy outside at B & Q in Inverness just ready to be binned. And what's worse, most of the staff don't seem to know a parsnip from a pansy :roll:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

My local B&Q has morons working in their garden centre who think Palm = Desert = Don't EVER water :roll:

Every time I go in there they have a sprinkler set up watering the roses to death while the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's & Washingtonia's are bone dry & shrivelling up, so they always have lots of reduced ones of those, unfortunately they are always dead... icon_thumbdown
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

huporhaha wrote: And what's worse, most of the staff don't seem to know a parsnip from a pansy :roll:

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers :lol: :lol: quote of the year icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Our local B&Q had dozens of CDIP plants for a £1, they were about 60cm in height. Good price but was put off by the brown fronds, hardly any green on the plants at all! I suppose it wouldn`t have hurt to buy a couple and see if they recover, but I couldn`t be bothered with it as I have enough to take care of now.

I don`t know, I find the assistants here are ok, but then I never expect them to know too much about gardening in general. As long as they can direct me to the sharp sand or whatever I am happy with them. They probably don`t earn a lot either.