I bought a 2nd one!!!!!!!!

Libby

I bought a 2nd one!!!!!!!!

Post by Libby »

You know how I always manage to get 2 of everything? Well I've done it again
look........................

but I was good, when I first saw it about 2 months ago I told hubby and he just shrugged his shoulders as it was a bit pricy! I went to the garden centre on Tuesday and it was in the sale section at 50% off! Again I left it came home and told the money holder and he said buy it :lol: :lol: :lol: so I did!!!
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

How much was it in the end Libby ?

I'm awaiting Homebase 50% sale to pick up another at £7.50 :D Not as big as yours mind.

Lucien
Libby

Post by Libby »

It was initially £50 then 50% off made it £25 plus my 10% off card £20!!! :lol:
Couldn't leave it there could I??????????????
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice plant for the price Libby, although they are not exactly the same. The small one is the 'Montbeliardii', the big one is a Maurelii, clearly in it's second year. 8)

Have you got somewhere to put in the winter :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lucienc »

I'm going to risk my (3rd year?) Maurelli outside this winter. Its right up next to the conservatory, right next to the swiss cheese plant that survived outside last winter. Its sort of protected to the south by the d.antartica which never loses its fronds.

'Montbeliardii' will be in the poly tunnel.

Lucien
Libby

Post by Libby »

In the 2nd hand greenhouse that I have still to erect!! I have a smaller greenhouse 6X8 which does have heating, but could be a tight squeeze!!!
I hope to have heating in the new one too!! :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

lucienc wrote:I'm going to risk my (3rd year?) Maurelli outside this winter. Its right up next to the conservatory, right next to the swiss cheese plant that survived outside last winter. Its sort of protected to the south by the d.antartica which never loses its fronds.

'Montbeliardii' will be in the poly tunnel.

Lucien
I would suggest a rain shelter as well.I haven't tried Maurelii, only the green ventricosum, but they come through in many winters to about March/April then rot.I think it is a combination of cold and wet, for just a bit too long. :cry:

I have overwintered both in my covered courtyard with leaves intcact, when a degree or 2 below freezing. The roof keeps rain and radiation frost off the plants :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lucienc »

Ah that shouldn't be too hard to construct - can do something off the pergola - might cover the big (import) W.filifera to give it a fighting chance for its first UK winter :)

Lucien
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Libby wrote:It was initially £50 then 50% off made it £25 plus my 10% off card £20!!! :lol:
Couldn't leave it there could I??????????????

Libby no you couldnt lol. clearly. I wouldnt have either, I love a plant bargain more than any other type lol. well done hun, good buy. as in great price not bye bye lol,

which i will now say for now

bye bye,

oh you know wot i mean lol :P :twisted:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

What a steal :D
Even if it doesn't make it through completely intact you could allways do this to it.....

and end up with loads(maybe?)
Although speaking to Mark turns out I may've done this wrong.As it looks like I didn't destroy the growing point.So may have to have another go.Might try cutting the corm into quarters?any opinions on the matter.

Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think you're right Steve, to get the million or so pups you have to destroy the growing bud. Not so easy without destrying the whole plant. It sounds like you are more likely to have success in spring after overwintering the banana successfully. Naturally people want to cut it down in Autumn/Winter to make it easier to overwinter. Perhaps you should try destroying the bud now, but on second thoughts you'll end up with hundreds of pups at a time of year no-one wants them :?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I'd guess it'd take quite a few months for any of the pups to get to a decent size,Maybe I'll have to keep one of my greenhouses Tropical this year to keep things going,then I'd have loads at the time everyone wants them :D
As this one was destined for the recycling bin anyway its just an experiment to see if it works.Any pups that I get are an added bonus.
I got one pup this year from my oldest Maurelli that strangled,on closer inspection of it the corm had started rotting.All that was good was cut away with the pup,which is matching the seed grown Ventricosum leaf for leaf.Neither'll be big enough to plant out this year,but will be next spring.

Steve
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The chopped Maurellis growing point has stopped itself growing anymore and is now concentrating on these :D

Pictures were taken quite a few days back,they're now much bigger already,and have a distinctive colouration.I'll soon have more Maurellis than I can shake a stick at 8)
Hope I've got room this Winter :lol:

Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well done Steve, You could always try selling the pups if they are seperable before the winter. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Loong at posts on B.org,I don't think that'll be possible.It seems its best to let them get quite big and numerous before seperating.Probably be next spring.Which is OK as I think with all my recent aquisitions I'll be keeping a greenhouse very warm indeed this winter.
Damn these early sales :lol:
and advance ordering
Steve