Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

piechnik99

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by piechnik99 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am

Silly question - how do you know the fruit is ripe? Also, I read somewhere the top growth dies back but the root is hardy (if mulched?)

paulrm71

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by paulrm71 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:39 am

Here's a pic of one of mine, it's even bigger now
Attachments
image.jpg

Blairs

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Blairs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am

piechnik99 wrote:Silly question - how do you know the fruit is ripe? Also, I read somewhere the top growth dies back but the root is hardy (if mulched?)
The fruits go orange or yellow when ripe.

I do not think that a mulch would work: but I will try this year and see if it is root hardy or not. I have a few plants, so I will try leaving where is mulched, by a wall mulched and a pot in a coldframe mulched so a variety of options to experiment with.

DaveP

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by DaveP » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 am

piechnik99 wrote:Silly question - how do you know the fruit is ripe? Also, I read somewhere the top growth dies back but the root is hardy (if mulched?)
The fruits turn a rather pleasant clear yellow when ripe and in profusion, are almost as attractive as the flowers. I've not grown it up in the Midlands, but I very much doubt that it is root hardy unless given a truly thick mulch to keep surrounding soil temps well above freezing.

piechnik99

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by piechnik99 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 am

[/quote]The fruits go orange or yellow when ripe.

I do not think that a mulch would work: but I will try this year and see if it is root hardy or not. I have a few plants, so I will try leaving where is mulched, by a wall mulched and a pot in a coldframe mulched so a variety of options to experiment with.[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking of doing the same..... I take the seeds are only viable when the seed pods are ripe - once the plants are frosted I take it the seeds pods won't ripen further?

piechnik99

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by piechnik99 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 am

DaveP wrote: The fruits turn a rather pleasant clear yellow when ripe and in profusion, are almost as attractive as the flowers. I've not grown it up in the Midlands, but I very much doubt that it is root hardy unless given a truly thick mulch to keep surrounding soil temps well above freezing.
Yeah, it does get pretty cold up here - about 200 metres above sea level. As mentioned earlier in the thread I might try to dig a few up and over winter in the greenhouse. Worth a try?

Kristen

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Kristen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 am

piechnik99 wrote:I take the seeds are only viable when the seed pods are ripe - once the plants are frosted I take it the seeds pods won't ripen further?
I've collected plenty, if your seeds don't ripen in time.

piechnik99

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by piechnik99 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Kristen wrote: I've collected plenty, if your seeds don't ripen in time.
Thats very good of you! I'll let you know how I get on.... I dug a few out yesterday and put them in the greenhouse - not sure if they'll make it through but at least i'll get a head start next spring (hopefully!)

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by cheshirepalms » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:07 pm

I cut all the ripe fruit off mine as highly poisonous to stupid dogs, but its still ripening, losing leaves though.
Attachments
kangarooapple.jpg

Mark L

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Mark L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Paulrm71, is that from one of the ones I gave you last year? I have had hundreds of them coming up everywhere this year from all the dropped fruits last year!

Kristen

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Kristen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 am

cheshirepalms wrote:I cut all the ripe fruit off mine as highly poisonous to stupid dogs,
I find that odd, as the berries are glutinous (which I presume is a substance to induce dormancy in the seed - assumption based on that being the case in other genus), strikes me that its a failure of evolution? Surely it would be better for animals to eat the fruits and disperse them ... or maybe the seed germinate best in rotting flesh? <Yuck!>. All "fruits" on Solanum poisonous (e.g. spuds) except for Tomatoes - wonder why they, too, aren't poisonous? Minefield for kids as plant & fruit of Solanum look Tomato-like :( - maybe that's what's confused your dogs too? :lol:

Even Yew have palatable flesh berries surrounding their, poisonous, seeds.

paulrm71

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by paulrm71 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Mark l, yes these are seeds from the original plants you gave me....they are certainly border fillers!! Only had a couple of self seeded ones this year.

Lys

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Lys » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Kristen wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:I cut all the ripe fruit off mine as highly poisonous to stupid dogs,
I find that odd, as the berries are glutinous (which I presume is a substance to induce dormancy in the seed - assumption based on that being the case in other genus), strikes me that its a failure of evolution? Surely it would be better for animals to eat the fruits and disperse them ... or maybe the seed germinate best in rotting flesh? <Yuck!>. All "fruits" on Solanum poisonous (e.g. spuds) except for Tomatoes - wonder why they, too, aren't poisonous? Minefield for kids as plant & fruit of Solanum look Tomato-like :( - maybe that's what's confused your dogs too? :lol:

Even Yew have palatable flesh berries surrounding their, poisonous, seeds.
Looks lovely I'll try growing it this year too. Found some info on Chiltern seeds:
These are followed by small, orange, egg-shaped fruits which were used to make jam by the early settlers in its native New Zealand.
I don't think I'll use it in my sarnies though! :?

Blairs

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Blairs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 pm

Do not think I would eat the ones on my plants Lys - maybe NZ has more sun.

Mine are still going strong. The large leaves are somewhat battered by the winds. The foliage took some frost, so hardier than I gave them credit for and the stem is getting thick, around 4 inches. I wanted them to die as they are in the wrong place (at front of a border and not is full sun) but if they survive till spring then I will shift them then. My seed pods are still mostly green with a hint of yellow.

User avatar
Arlon Tishmarsh
Posts: 6957
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Horizontal

Re: Kangaroo Apple (Solanum laciniatum)

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:33 am

Mine is the lance shaped leaf variety as per Chesirepalms pic and not the lobed leaf variety. I use it as a climber over a pergola and its currently about 10ft + high, still in leaf and seems very hardy having come thru the "narnia"winter with no issues. I like it as it flowers profusely and over a very long period and provides good shade for the underlying ferns and shady plants.

Post Reply