suggestions?

palm lad

suggestions?

Post by palm lad »

could anyone give me ideas of some hardy tropical or tropical looking flowering plants that i could manage to grow well where i live? ive been researching but i'd rather know from those who have tried different things. i want to experiment more with the smaller things other than going mad on getting Palms all the time :roll: i've come across the well known ones like kniphofia, hosta, pinepple lily etc but i'd like to add some new ones that would look quite cool added to my borders, be relatively easy to obtain, and be perennials at least too 8) and look tropical or be tropical... no traditional stuff haha ;)

cheers, PL
Petefree

Re: suggestions?

Post by Petefree »

Try some of the Hemerocallis (Day Lilies) and Crocosmia. They will be hardy for you and have fantastic bright flowers. You could also try some of the Arisaema - their flowers are weird and exotic looking.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im impressed with some of these i put in last year,many dont look english and booooorrrrring icon_thumright
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&xh ... a=N&tab=wi
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've added Heucheras this year, there are some lovely varieties:

Rave On:

Firefly:

Citronella

Autumn Leaves:

Simba

Post by Simba »

I'd echo what Pete said, Hemerocallis tick all of the boxes...

Fully hardy, minimal care, perennial, attractive foliage, and just how exotic looking are these flowers...??
Attachments
hemerocallis-nonas-garnet-spider-daylily-midjuly-05_thumb.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Gogglebox how are your Heucheras doing? the ones i got for works garden are just coming into flower but are a more pink/white colour but the leafs look dreadful im not sure if its the wind that has done it but they are flattened and look very scruffy/messy.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Sorry to hear that San, mine are going great guns. Even the half dead tatty thing that I got a replacement for is doing really well:

Here's the Rave On and the Citronelle creeping into shot:

and the Tirimisu:

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Very nice, I love the yellow colour ones, not seen them around where i live. I Will keep an eye out though for it, and your leafs look a thousand times better than my works ones.
callin

Post by callin »

Hi,
Hydrangea.
It grows also in Romania so no problemo with hardyness.
It has beautiful "boule de neige" flowers in spring with spectacular display.
Hydrangea_watermouth_arp_750pix.jpg
I prefer the white one(couldn't find a picture), looks better for me.
Cheers
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

cheers! i like the looks of daylillies and those arisema ones icon_thumleft[quote][/quote]
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hemerocallis....

gonna get me some of those.

I wish ebay sold space too.

:DD