More Garden pics - and about time too...

Troppoz

Re: More Garden pics - and about time too...

Post by Troppoz »

cordyman wrote:Cracking looking trachys! do you have any closer up pics of the one on the right?

What plant is this tall fern thingy?

also what species of bamboo is that, like the fact you can see the canes with the frothy foliage top!
Thats a wollemi pine is it not?

Mark what is the thing with the large corrugated leaves in beside your tree fern?

Lovely garden btw, not 'wannabe' at all!!

Sean
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That would be an Arisaema Sean, Cobra lily.

It is a lovely garden, Mark. 8)
Jamesyoung

Post by Jamesyoung »

WOW fantastic garden !!! 8)

do you have a closer pic of the Trachycarpus on the right in the first pic ? it looks like it has a very thick and very hairy trunk .....looks really different to any other Trachycarpus i have seen :) looks really good ! icon_thumleft
Markby

Post by Markby »

Gosh thanks everyone! Been crazy busy this last week or so (work... sad but necessary).
Sean, you are spot on - it is indeed a Wollemia nobilis. Only had it a year but it has put on a foot in height already - fantastic plant IMO.

Arisaema speciosum make those wonderful huge leaves that remind me of a raptor in flight - not sure how they would fare in the heat of tropical Australia, I believe they prefer cool shade, maybe deep shade would be OK for them. Again this is my first try with these plants and I am glad I did. Next trick is to get them through whatever next winter throws at us. The point about sharp drainage being duly noted!

The Trachycarpus on the right has a fat wooly trunk and the one on the left is much more slender. Both exactly the same height and were bought at exactly the same time, so from the same batch for all I know - strange how they are so different isn't it?

here is acloser pic of the fat one...
Attachments
Fat_Trachy.jpg
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Good looking garden Mark.

That fat and hairy Trachycarpus looks really cool :)
Markby

Post by Markby »

Oh, also (Cordyman) the bamboo is a P. aurea that I 'prune' in May to reveal the canes by stripping off the side shoots to about head height. In spite of it being a humble aurea, it has just begun to put on some really fat culms about 40mm diameter this year for the first time - must have reached its maturity. I am well pleased - see pic attached...
Attachments
P_aurea_fat_culms.jpg
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

love your garden, some cracking plants!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
leewatson1980

Post by leewatson1980 »

I've said it before but you do have a great garden, you've already got a good jungley backbone and I think it will look sweet when you fill the boarders with tropicals.

I've got lots of tropical plants in my yard but after loosing the cordyline to winter and the idiot neighbours cutting down the trees at the bottom of the garden, I have no established plants.

In my next house I'll be spending a lot of money on established back bone plants.

Lee