Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

kata

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by kata »

Carnage in the garden today; gales have wiped out several trees and torn off tree limbs. My weeping ash has probably wept for the last time.
What a terrible price to pay for your beautiful outlook Steph,
My yaks (rhodies are in full bloom
Gorgeous they are too.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Thanks Kata - today has been really appalling. Gale force winds have ripped through the garden, cauliflowers ripped up and broad beans flattened in the other half's veggie patch. Rambler roses have been torn from their anchorage and sambucus black lace is broken off. Even the rabbits have taken cover!

Right now, we are sitting in front of the fire with a soggy moggy and a soggy doggie. Not my idea of July at all.

South - - - here we come. I am already choosing the best plants to nurture and keep in the greenhouse in pots ready to transport southwards next year - or the year after - or whenever we sell here.
flounder

Post by flounder »

You wouldn't have liked today Steph, high twenties and no wind....it was stifling! :lol:
sorry :wink:
Steph

Post by Steph »

Sorry to hear your update, your weather does sound quite horrid.
Do you ever get any interest from buyers in your house, I mean would it sell at the right price or is it just no one comes?
You certainly have a better view than any of us!
When you get back south you won't miss the weather but you will miss the space.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Hope to sell sometime next year Steph. 10 years ago, the future looked rosy but since 2008, the economic climate has made the area less popular for all but the mega rich who want an "extra hideaway" or bolthole. The statistics look bleak. The local secondary school serving about 200 square miles has shrunk by a third, the birth rate has slowed to almost zilch whilst three elderly folk have "gone to glory" from the local nursing home and two others from the local community in the last WEEK. Funerals have outnumbered births 8 to 1 in this area for five consecutive years. Another funeral tomorrow - this time - Kay Matheson - the spirited lady who joined forces with 2 men and nicked the Stone of Scone (destiny) from under the throne at Westminster Abbey. My other half used to help her out in latter years. I will walk down the third of a mile to the funeral in the morning - she was quite a character. Gotta get out sooner rather than later though...... :wink:
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Meh............'nuff said. Can someone just nudge the jet stream 100 miles north..........cool, very windy and quite wet today. Coat and hat when walking the dog..............my tropicals may be hardy, but they are not that hardy!!!! :evil:
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Typical - three fine days and a thunderstorm brewing............. :evil:
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Sorry - it has been a very busy year this year - everything has grown phenomenally and I have been working my little socks off all summer - I'll try and put some pics up in the near future................
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Not sure why this is appearing in the main forum and not member blogs, but it is a blog...........honest :oops: a late crocosmia.............
Attachments
DSCN3300 copy.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I do like Crocosmia, it reminds me of a other plant icon_scratch
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Well, winter has arrived - white stuff falling........trying to nurse smaller specimens through the winter as we plan to uproot ourselves in the near future and return to a more hospitable environment.....i.e. south......

I have not been that active on here recently as we have been doing decorating and other stuff prior to putting the property on the market. We will miss this garden but then we can start again further south. :wink:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I dont blame you Huporhaha, (moving south) ive just saw the local weather forecast. Jeez.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You won't exactly get passing trade where you are. How easy is it going to be to sell overwinter? and where darn sarf will you be hoping to go?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Are you moving proper down south like Northumberland or just further south in Scotland?
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Are you moving proper down south like Northumberland or just further south in Scotland?

As far south a possible Kris..................south coast of England preferably :wink: