Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

User avatar
Adam D
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Adam D » Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 pm

huporhaha wrote:Cold, wet and miserable - need I say more.................
Same down here in the central belt :(

There has been a couple of half-decent days this week, but it really does not feel like the beginning of May!

I have also joined the bleached Pseudosasa japonica club as mine is looking a bit knackered after those horrible March easterlies.

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your pseudosasa japonica Adam - mine look like they have been in Siberia all winter. Glen Docherty was very snowy this afternoon and it is sleety this evening here. The Hebredean Princess has decided to park up in the loch opposite our front room window so perhaps a few well off people will get their telescopes out in thei cabins and try and identify my southern hemisphere trees in the garden :lol:

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Sat May 04, 2013 6:42 am

May 4th and swallows were swooping in the snow - what a welcome! This is a picture of my personal Royal Yacht moored in my private loch at the bottom of my garden this morning - eucalyptus trees an optional extra!
Heard the first cuckoo of the season whilst taking this picture - an added bonus despite temps of 3C........ 8)
Attachments
Hebridean Princess
Hebridean Princess

photonbucket

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by photonbucket » Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 am

Wow. Those views are amazing. Really impressed by the garden. How big is it? 1 acre?

What sort of winter temperatures are you getting up there? I would imagine the temperature is moderated somewhat by the sea, but how does the lack of light affect what you can grow?

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 am

photonbucket wrote:Wow. Those views are amazing. Really impressed by the garden. How big is it? 1 acre?

What sort of winter temperatures are you getting up there? I would imagine the temperature is moderated somewhat by the sea, but how does the lack of light affect what you can grow?
It is about three quarters of an acre at the front and more at the back.

I'd much prefer coastal Suffolk though. This cold and wind is beginning to get me down after 10 years. My uncle lived in Needham for a while and had relatives near Dennington - Maypole Green. Yet more in Reydon (Southwold). I could happily move tomorrow...........

About 3 degrees C last night - climbing to about 5 now. Pretty cold this spring........ :(

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Tom2006 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Sorry to hear your weather is still rubbish! I hope it improves soon. Have I got it wrong or did you move up from somewhere like Cornwall?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Tom2006 wrote:Sorry to hear your weather is still rubbish! I hope it improves soon. Have I got it wrong or did you move up from somewhere like Cornwall?
Yes Tom, my husband is Cornish and I lived down there for 23 years - I think we will be moving south again in the next year or so........gotta sell the house here though. :?

Steph
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: East London, bordering Essex.

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Steph » Mon May 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I really look forward to the day you move south, you stories are interesting but life is also quite bleak for you.

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Steph wrote:I really look forward to the day you move south, you stories are interesting but life is also quite bleak for you.
Even more bleak today Steph - threw out last remaining canna (to incinerate in case it is the dreaded plague) even lost most of my agave americana in the greenhouse this spring and to top it all...........a pesky seagull has just dropped a message from the sky...............I saw it coming as the flock flew overhead - three of them squabbling over a scrap of food - the "message" sort of floated on the wind earthwards. I tried to dodge it, but the wind caught it at the last minute - all over my hair, my glasses, my jumper and my trousers - arrrgghh - it put paid to my tropical pottering and I had to come in and have a long shower and put my clothes in the wash.................why weren't seagulls made with plugs in their backsides when in flight? :oops:

User avatar
Adam D
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Adam D » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm

huporhaha wrote:
Steph wrote:I really look forward to the day you move south, you stories are interesting but life is also quite bleak for you.
Even more bleak today Steph - threw out last remaining canna (to incinerate in case it is the dreaded plague) even lost most of my agave americana in the greenhouse this spring and to top it all...........a pesky seagull has just dropped a message from the sky...............I saw it coming as the flock flew overhead - three of them squabbling over a scrap of food - the "message" sort of floated on the wind earthwards. I tried to dodge it, but the wind caught it at the last minute - all over my hair, my glasses, my jumper and my trousers - arrrgghh - it put paid to my tropical pottering and I had to come in and have a long shower and put my clothes in the wash.................why weren't seagulls made with plugs in their backsides when in flight? :oops:
Apparently birds jobbying on you is a sign of good luck!

This is what my in-laws told me after they were pooped on in their hometown of Dumfries...

Sorry to hear about your plants. The central belt's climate isn't that wonderful, but I often see the forecast for further up north and I am grateful that I do not have to contend with the weather you guys do.

Steph
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: East London, bordering Essex.

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Steph » Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm

It just doesn't feel lucky when it happens to you...
Is your place up for sale or are you still thinking about doing it?
I am sure the day you come back we'll all dig out some spares and your stock will be replenished to start you off again.
Your life will be so easy by comparison....

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Tom2006 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 pm

huporhaha wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Sorry to hear your weather is still rubbish! I hope it improves soon. Have I got it wrong or did you move up from somewhere like Cornwall?
Yes Tom, my husband is Cornish and I lived down there for 23 years - I think we will be moving south again in the next year or so........gotta sell the house here though. :?

Good luck with the sale. I love Scotland but the weather is pants, I bet in a way you can't wait to get back to better weather.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for all your comments - we are getting the house and garden looking pristine (hopefully) to entice buyers. We need to target reasonably young, healthy , slightly eccentric, plant loving, rain loving, hardy type people who can stomach long dark winters and a short but hectic growing season. I tried to shift a dozen good sized Acacia Dealbatas by offering them for free together with a few more exotics to a local nursery - they turned down my offer and told me to put them on the compost heap! Even the offer of a free Calla Hercules was rejected. So if anyone is travelling northwards, come a pick up a few plants........................ icon_thumright

Trudytropics

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by Trudytropics » Thu May 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Gosh you have it tough up there, whilst I envy your space and fantastic views, you can keep your long winters and cold weather. I thought Newcastle was dire, but its topical by comparison :lol:

You really seem to battle the elements, so I can see why a house move to a milder region would appeal, perhaps that large dollop of poop will bring you good luck and you'll find buyers quickly :D

huporhaha

Re: Hupor's Hardy Horticultural Blog

Post by huporhaha » Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 pm

MAY - it feels like January. Sleet on Sunday - 4C yesterday with rain, sleet hail and wind all day yesterday. I'm counting my blessings today - its 5C now with heavy showers of sleet, rain and hail.....................

Come on spring..........................

Post Reply