Feeding a Washingtonia Robusta

sanatic1234

Feeding a Washingtonia Robusta

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have noticed something rather odd and really wish i had taken some before and after pics now.. I gave my washingtonia robusta's some feed about 3-4 days ago and yesterday evening when i was outside watering i noticed that my 2 robusta seedlings have grown a good half of an inch in width on the stem. Is it possible that the miracle grow has done this or could it be all this warm weather we have had that has given it a big spurt of growth?

Any opions more than welcome, very confusing to me but also very good to see. :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Feeding a Washingtonia Robusta

Post by Dave Brown »

Probably a combination of both, feeding on it's own won't make much difference if the temps aren't right, and heat will produce much faster growth, but the combination of the two may result in optimum.

Or maybe you should have gone to Specsavers :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Or maybe you should have gone to Specsavers
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well, I got a Washingtonia (2) and a good few Phoenix canariensis_CIDP off Ebay and the Washi is going great guns. I never knew they grew so quick. Its a seedling, they all were.

The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is extremely slow, still waiting the first leaf.

When I was potting them up I dropped the name tags, so they could be anything. :lol:

Be nice if someone could say if these are Washingtonia robusta. I have fed them ready done Miraclegrow. I leave them all day on the lawn in the sun, brings them in at night.

San, your doing what I am doing, and seeing what I am seeing.........growth.
icon_cheers
Attachments
kwashirobusta.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

well that one there is a washingtonia kata. you could be right dave may be i should of gone to spec savers :lol: but for some reason they really stood out to me and i noticed a massive difference in them. may be i did feed at the right time with the temperatures being good.

Kata, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are slow, what i did with mine to really give them an advantage was to put them infront of a window to give them extra heat. if it worked or not i don't know but may be worth trying or put it infront of one of your walls as the bricks will hold the heat.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh thanks San,

There should then be two Washis in that pot. I thought all tropicals were slow so was amazed to see a new leaf already.

Keep doing what your doing San...I am giving mine all this sunshine to get them moving some more before autumn.

Washis are nice enough I saw some big ones at Homebase yesterday, down from £40 to £20.

Keep us posted and I will, see where we are by october.

Thanks about the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This is my washingtonia from last year in its first year so it just goes to show how fast they grow and mine were grown from seed.
Attachments
washingtonia robusta seedling 2010 not even a year old!.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This is the latest pic i have taken earlier this year. picture quality is rubbish. but just by looking at the spears you can see the size difference.
Attachments
Just over a year old.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Can we take off the wool if we want San :lol:

Thems granduns, and only a year. Mine are about 6 weeks I got them as seedlings from Ebay. I found two Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seedlings I got in another pot. Actually San I bought a load of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP sprouts off Ebay, they are not at seedling stage yet. I may just have spotted a leaf though on one this morning.

One Phoenix canariensis_CIDP seedling died today.

Great Images San.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: