My projects So Far This Year

Nick

My projects So Far This Year

Post by Nick »

Hi everyone, I've been a little busy of late, but now I am almost up to date with tasks in th garden, so now I would like to take this opportunity to share some photo's with you all.

This is a 10 seater bench I made at Easter with wood I had left from a fencing job that was done at home on our boundary:
IMG00019-20110601-0604 (Copy).jpg
As you can see it's pretty big, it was going to be 10ft long, but the weight of a table that size would be to much to be able to move, so I decided to go for an 8ft bench/table, it's still very very heavy, so it stayed in my parking space until I was ready in the garden.The next photo is self explanatory :lol: :lol:
IMG00021-20110601-0604 (Copy).jpg
My plan was to have seating for 16 people at a bbq so then come my second project, to build another bench/table a mirror image of the first if I had enough timber left over, I did but it was a far lower grade, what I would call scrap timber, but I cut all the really bad parts out of it and come up with this:
IMG00090-20110621-2108 (Copy).jpg
IMG00091-20110621-2108 (Copy).jpg
That was the end of project number two, then it was time to order the timber for my next project:
DECKING:
I ordered my timber from a place at Bristol as I did not like the look of the quality of boards you get from the big sheds HB and B&Q, now were they that special from our local builders, so I decided that the place from Bristol would be my supplier as there timber was Scandinavian thicker and with less knots,
so here's a few photo's of my progress:
IMG00022-20110603-0701 (Copy).jpg
IMG00045-20110609-1654 (Copy).jpg
I had fun with this job, it was very hard at times, as you know things never ever go to plan, and I had days where it just would not play ball :lol:
IMG00050-20110610-1721 (Copy).jpg
IMG00054-20110613-1325 (Copy).jpg
IMG00055-20110613-1731 (Copy).jpg
IMG00063-20110619-0843 (Copy).jpg
I believe the framing and the joists and leveling are the most important parts of laying a deck,and as I wanted a slight run off towards the fence it made it all the more challenging for me, and also the garden slopes down hill the further along I went with the joists. This was meant to be an 18ft x 9.75 wide, but decided to extend it so the bbq could sit on it as well, it was extended 4ft to make it 22ft but by the time 52boards had a 1/4inch gap between them, that made it grow to a monster 23ft 3in :lol:
Trudytropics

Re: My projects So Far This Year

Post by Trudytropics »

Nice work Nick, you have been busy with the power tools :lol: . I love the table and benches they look very well made icon_thumleft . I don't know if you have laid the decking boards yet, but we used invisible fixings on ours a few years ago and you get a much neater job IMO.
You just need some nice weather now to get to enjoy it icon_sunny .

Trudy
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Very ingenious Nick icon_thumright Tables look brilliant. I would suggest putting short stabilser legs under the seating on the corners, having seen one tip over in a pub garden. Six people were seated and 2 on one side got up, and over it went :lol:

That is a huge deck :shock: mine being 13 x 10ft, but there again I have a smaller table.

You'll be holding street parties now once word is out..... All down to Nick's for a barbie :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

This photo show how much the timber was twisted in both planes :(
IMG00046-20110609-1654 (Copy).jpg

but I over come these problems after a lot of thought.
I've seen decks where water settled in the middle so I decided to add a very slight slope to mine so all water would run off, I went with this at 6mm over the width was nothing noticeable:
IMG00049-20110610-1720 (Copy).jpg
IMG00050-20110610-1721 (Copy).jpg
I used 6x1 and 10mm bolts to join the joists together, but was not happy with this idea, so I removed all the off cuts of timber and the bolts and placed across the ends of the joists a new joist and used mini joist hangers to attach the joists both side, this made it a lot stronger joint and more stable.Sadly I.
Building the frame took me 10 days due to interruptions like rain,work, and numerous problems :lol:
IMG00063-20110619-0843 (Copy).jpg
IMG00064-20110619-0844 (Copy).jpg
The Joist I used to join the joists together can be seen in this photo, it's a slightly lighter timber
IMG00065-20110619-0845 (Copy).jpg
Then come the day when I was able to bring the boards into the garden and place them onto the joists, so I could get straight edges to both sides of the deck.I had them all strait at the side where the heather is growing, and used my big spirit level to do a straight edge at the fence side of the decking. This time all the boards were just laid toughing each other with no gaps, and there was no bounce from the framing below or creaks or any movement what so ever, it was rock solid.
IMG00068-20110619-1047 (Copy).jpg
IMG00069-20110619-1047 (Copy).jpg
The next photo shows what joist was left before the boards were spaced out, I had three posts to cut around and with there gaps and the extra boards I got, I only had to cut off 1foot of joist before attaching the final joist in the project :lol:
IMG00070-20110619-1052 (Copy).jpg
I cut all the boards then had the job of screwing them down,
IMG00092-20110622-0810 (Copy).jpg
dino

Post by dino »

Nice one Nik, I think you could go into production churning out those benches icon_thumleft
Nick

Post by Nick »

Then I started to fix the boards down, I lost one screw and used a total of 999 out of 1000 screws, I was pre drilling the holes but with advise and from what the box said no need to drill I pushed on with out drilling pilot holes first, I was out there before going to work and when I got home I was out there again, up to 10pm screwing in these screws :lol: :lol:

Then I had help to move the Benches into position on the deck.
IMG00097-20110625-1007 (Copy).jpg
IMG00096-20110625-1007 (Copy).jpg
IMG00095-20110625-1006 (Copy).jpg
IMG00107-20110701-2035 (Copy).jpg
I know what your thinking, it's cluttered, I to think that, but I am throwing a bbq party for 16 fellow committee members and once it's been and gone, then the smaller bench will come off the deck which will give much more room.
I then had to cut a hole for the parasol,which is now done and the parasol is now installed and is ready to use.
I hope you like what I've done with my small garden, and the photo's I've taken with my phone for your enjoyment.
Right what's next on my list of jobs to do :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the advise Dave,so glad you like all what I've done so far, funny you should say that, my Carpenter friend said the same thing yesterday, I can attach some before the party, I have Bamboo lamps, with oil to add to the atmosphere :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i didnt know decking boards were supposed to have gaps between them.

very impressed with your work but all i can think is ' he's lost a lot of planting space ' :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Mr List decking boards expand and contract with different weather conditions, so must have a gap between for expansion, it also helps with drainage :) .

Trudy
kata

Post by kata »

Wow Nick,

Many times I have wondered to myself (could'nt ask for security reasons where is Nick)

That is such an awesome job on the table and decking Nick.

So your feeling better than you did (heart)?

Well done you. icon_cheers icon_cheers
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

well done nick great work there, hopehte weather good for the bbq now to make use of it all, love the benches!!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Christ Nick, not even Noah used that much wood :lol: :lol:

It's a crackin' job, looks very solid and well made. Nice one icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Christ Nick, not even Noah used that much wood :lol: :lol:
:lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi Nick, :)
As usual you have done a fantastic job! icon_thumleft having told us about your project, it's great to see the pictures. Brian said you could build a house on that deck, it's such high spec' construction! :lol: - not that we expected any less from you. :roll:
...you guys should see the shed Nick built - and hear the saga! Nick, when you have a spare few days, do another thread! :wink: I jest as I know you are really busy these days.
Top Job Nick! icon_salut
Cathy x
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Now it's all in Nick, is there anything else in the pipeline. Will you be putting some nice potted plants on the deck and can we expect some nice pics of the rest of the garden.
icon_thumleft