More plants.

karl66

More plants.

Post by karl66 »

Could not resist more spending today!!. Bought a lovely little waggy, 10inch nice thick trunk and overhaul height 33 inches. Yucca gloriosa variegata small one, plus a big Yucca faxoniana. Can you guys give me any info on the Yucca's please. Iam told the later one is very hardy. thanks karl.
dino

Re: More plants.

Post by dino »

The Gloriosa is hardy
karl66

Post by karl66 »

dino wrote:The Gloriosa is hardy
Great thanks. the gloriosa was only a £15 plant and is in a small pot with just plain compost.I want to repot it but surely being a yucca it must have purlite in the mix as well?. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

wouldnt worry about perlite,you want to use plenty of grit though,as much as you like icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

redsquirrel wrote:wouldnt worry about perlite,you want to use plenty of grit though,as much as you like icon_thumright
Thanks, do you think its to late to repot it or would you wait till spring?. Also the yucca faxoniana seems to have a bit to much soil to ratio, shall i add a bit more perlite to this for better drainage as its a fair size about 4ft potted. many thanks karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I am looking at buying 1 more palm out of these 3, Jubea chilensis, Butia capitata, Trithrinax campestris. Which would be my best bet for winter survival. thanks karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:I am looking at buying 1 more palm out of these 3, Jubea chilensis, Butia capitata, Trithrinax campestris. Which would be my best bet for winter survival. thanks karl.

That's a tricky one. If you are keeping in a pot then any would be fine brought into a greenhouse/garage for winter.

If in ground I would go for the Jubaea. The Butia is probably the least hardy out of the three.
grub

Post by grub »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:

That's a tricky one. If you are keeping in a pot then any would be fine brought into a greenhouse/garage for winter.

If in ground I would go for the Jubaea. The Butia is probably the least hardy out of the three.
Depending on the sizes icon_thumright , if they're all tiddlers they'd all be gonners in a winter here.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

grub wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

Depending on the sizes icon_thumright , if they're all tiddlers they'd all be gonners in a winter here.
True. Complicated; all goes back to winter hardiness and how much effort one is willing to put in with regards to protection.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

yeh, its OK saying.......my big one got through....but they all start out being small before they get big.....got to start somewhere.......but extra extra protect will be required.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
karl66

Post by karl66 »

What about butia Eriosopathi?, or very near. I've seen some nice one's with thickish trunks, have many had these through last winter and survived. karl.
grub

Post by grub »

Karl I've lost 2 of these, one made a bit of a comeback after I took a saw to it and cut it right back to the ground but this winter finished it off; the trunk had a 12" diameter.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

grub wrote:Karl I've lost 2 of these, one made a bit of a comeback after I took a saw to it and cut it right back to the ground but this winter finished it off; the trunk had a 12" diameter.
Thanks Grub. Was it undercover and fleeced?. The other one i'm keen on is Jubea chilensis, how would a 3ft overhaul size version fair if covered. These are lovely looking palms. karl
karl66

Post by karl66 »

grub wrote:Karl I've lost 2 of these, one made a bit of a comeback after I took a saw to it and cut it right back to the ground but this winter finished it off; the trunk had a 12" diameter.
Whats your view on a Butia Eriosopath with a trunk height of 18 inches the base of trunk is a whopping 40 inches and height in pot nearly 6ft. if this was wrapped well enough has it a good chance outside. thanks.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

karl66 wrote:
Whats your view on a Butia Eriosopath with a trunk height of 18 inches the base of trunk is a whopping 40 inches and height in pot nearly 6ft. if this was wrapped well enough has it a good chance outside. thanks.
I Would appreciate some more feedback on the Eriospatha, but a couple of other questions= What are the most hardy and easiest giant leaves to look after and is it to late to repot my yucca rostrata as its bulging out its pot. many thanks karl.