Drainage in pots. (Butia eriospatha)

karl66

Drainage in pots. (Butia eriospatha)

Post by karl66 »

I have white limestone chippings 3 or 4 inches deep in some of my big containers to help with drainage. Then followed with soil compost and perlite. I have this for free as i'm a roofing contractor!!. Is this alright under palms in pots?. karl.
Scott Radford

Re: Drainage in pots.

Post by Scott Radford »

http://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvice/p ... -palms.htm

That should give you some good info icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote:I have white limestone chippings 3 or 4 inches deep in some of my big containers to help with drainage. Then followed with soil compost and perlite. I have this for free as i'm a roofing contractor!!. Is this alright under palms in pots?. karl.
It really depends on the Palm, Karl. Chamaerops grow on Limestone mountains so will be quite happy, but many palms, including Trachycarpus grow better in slightly acid soil (pH 6 to 6.5). In theory, the chippings being at the bottom would mean any calcified water would drain out, but palms tend to be deep rooted, so would head straight for the bottom of the pot. I'd reduce the chippings to 1 inch as it is only to stop water accumulating at the bottom. The perlite will be the main drainage. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dave Brown wrote:
karl66 wrote:I have white limestone chippings 3 or 4 inches deep in some of my big containers to help with drainage. Then followed with soil compost and perlite. I have this for free as i'm a roofing contractor!!. Is this alright under palms in pots?. karl.
It really depends on the Palm, Karl. Chamaerops grow on Limestone mountains so will be quite happy, but many palms, including Trachycarpus grow better in slightly acid soil (pH 6 to 6.5). In theory, the chippings being at the bottom would mean any calcified water would drain out, but palms tend to be deep rooted, so would head straight for the bottom of the pot. I'd reduce the chippings to 1 inch as it is only to stop water accumulating at the bottom. The perlite will be the main drainage. :wink:
Dave,the palm is a Butia Eriospatha trunk height aprox 18inchs high and 40 inch girth at bottom and sitting in a massive half barrell. karl.
grub

Post by grub »

karl66 wrote: I have this for free as i'm a roofing contractor!!. karl.
Don't your roof need doing Dave? :lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

karl66 wrote: I have this for free as i'm a roofing contractor!!. karl.
Limestone chippings for a roof? I'd rather have slates, they keep the rain out better :lol:

Actually, bits of old roof slate is what I put in the bottom of pots for drainage - they're thin, so it allows more space for soil icon_thumright
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I use the crocks from broken pots, there alway's seems to be a good supply around after winter, that or polystyrene, which is a lot lighter.